General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Think my steering rack blew out on the highway

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2011, 02:35 PM
1st Gear
Default Think my steering rack blew out on the highway

2001 Audi A4 2.8L V6 Quattro 112,XXX miles

So I drive 120 miles to work back and forth 5 days a week. On Saturday my wheels were making a funny noise when i was turning, I thought it was my wheel bearing. I had about an hour and fifteen minute ride home from work so I drove all the way thinking it was the wheel bearing.

Short story i get from within a mile of my house, go to make a turn and my power steering stopped working. Limped it back to my house luckily my friends were home next door they came over and power steering fluid was all over my drivers side tire and on my door. The power steering fluid was pretty much empty. Cars been sitting since, about to get some Lucas power steering fluid stop leak.

Anyway went onto rackdoctor.net found a rebuilt rack for $140 with a $75 core deposit on top of that or carsteering.com had it for $350 with a $150 core deposit. How much should I expect to pay for this job and is there anything else that could have blown besides my rack?

Oh I know a guy that does side jobs for cheap, he's just away for memorial day weekend so I figured I'd see what I'm getting myself into with him.