General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Tip won't work after ignition coil replacement!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2012, 08:07 AM
1st Gear
Default Tip won't work after ignition coil replacement!!

Hello Gents,
New to the site but have a bunch of questions. I won't post them all in this one thread though.

Driving on the highway the other day and I went to pass a truck my 2007 A4 2.0T lost a lot of power and was sputtering all the way home pretty much. Turned out to be a bad ignition coil in cylinder 1. I replaced it and the car runs fine. HOWEVER, When I went to test drive the car I noticed that my PRNDS does not change. Now I've read ton of stuff on what this is. "A trouble code is being stored in my TCM."

Again doing more research the manual states that when this happens that the car is in "Limp" mode. But "Limp" mode the car is supposed to stay in 4th gear, and reverse does not work. I can shift into any gear, I'm not idling low, and I can use "Sport Mode" on the transmission. My tiptronics does not work right now.

I called the dealer because after some diagnosis, I have narrowed it down to a couple things.

Could be the Multifuntion Switch - $250
Could be the magnets misaligned and is causing my Tip not to work. $0 (do it myself)

Lastly I thought it could be my Transmission control module.

The dealer told me that there is no TCM in the 2007 audi a4, (I can't remember what he called it), and the part that it could be is $2200.

The last thing I want to do is spend $2200 on something I don't need. I'm not a big fan of dealers.

I'm hoping it is just the magnets since really everything else is working properly. I don't use the Tip at all so i really don't care, if I don't have it. I just want to make sure I'm not ruining the transmission if I continue on.

Check engine light is not one,
The PRNDS is not blinking
The color is inverted on the PRNDS though
Can't see what gear I'm in
Can't use TIP

Any help is greatly appreciated!!