General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Tiptronic tranny problem, please help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2011, 05:28 PM
1st Gear
Exclamation Tiptronic tranny problem, please help!!!

ive been having some trouble with my 1998 audi a6 2.8l quattro
i chipped my car awhile ago and then the transmission started to clack real hard when i shift from drive or park to reverse,
i took the chip off and let thecomputer recycle and it worked fine
i put the ecm cord housing back on and have had it washed acouple times
its been fine, now it rained for like 10 mins real light rain but my cars been dieing and idling odd and will shift real hard and die its been overheating( not full overheat but, my aux fan wont start either to cool it down and my thermostat isnt stuck but i just need some trouble shooting comments

or anyone that has had a simalar problem, my chip hasnt been connected since then and my cars really pissing me off,
please help!!!

Old 07-03-2011, 01:49 PM
1st Gear

I've been on this site for 2 years and this is only my second post. lol The other post, that I left just a minute ago is the same thing I'd suggest to you. Disconnect the battery for an hour or so or even overnite if you can. Once you hook it back up, let it idle for a few and then take it for a 5 or 10 mile drive and see what symptoms return.

The reason for this is simple. Anytime a sensor or actuator is replaced or disconnected, the computer has to re-learn what the engine is doing. However, it usually makes adjustments based on what it has stored in it's memory. So if you replace an O2 sensor but don't reset the computer, the computer thinks the old sensor is still there and treats the information based on that, and then adjusts to compensate.

In your case, everything was disconnected, but if it was all reconnected before the "keep alive memory" battery discharged, then the computer is still treating the data as though you were performing under the conditions created by the chip.

Bottom line.... your computer is confused.

*** Forgot to mention that also since you experienced issues with water you may not have connected everything tightly. While the battery is disconnected, retrace your steps and disconnect and reconnect everything that you touched before.

Last edited by jerry 1 a b; 07-03-2011 at 01:51 PM.
Old 07-08-2011, 01:49 AM
1st Gear

thanks that helped but i disconnected some sensors like my mass airflow and saw a wire wasnt connected to a harness and put new wires in and it was fixed thanks though

Old 07-08-2011, 07:47 AM
1st Gear

hello, i just made a account to figure out what is wrong withn my tiptronic. while on this thread i spot your post and i would like to share with you that when i removed my battery, my audi went under "theft mode". It would'nt start. so i towed it to a dealer and they had to restart the system. i would like some more info on how to fix the tiptronic, mine just doesnt see to do anything when i slide it over