General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Trouble with Battery

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2016, 11:31 PM
1st Gear
Default Trouble with Battery

My battery won't hold a charge. I got a new job where I can walk to work, so I don't drive the car much. This is probably causing the trouble. I've had the car jumped 3 times now and I don't know how to keep a charge on the battery.

First time it was one week between uses. I got the car jumped and went out a bought a new battery thinking that would solve the problem.

Second time was three weeks later. I had been driving once/week with no trouble. Then, left the car four days at the airport and the car was dead. I thought it was because it was cold and the car was exposed. Figured I would solve the problem by starting and driving the car every three days.

Made it another couple weeks on the three day driving method with no trouble, then one day the car was completely dead. Got it jumped again today and drove it 10 miles to let it charge itself. At least that is what I was told to do by the guy who jumped my car. My plan was to come home and drive it around after work to help charge it up. Got home 6 hours later and the car was completely dead. It was running great on the 10 mile drive.

How can I get the car to keep a charge? I have a 2009 Audi A4 Convertible which I have owned since 2010. Any help would be appreciated.

Old 01-05-2016, 07:49 AM
2nd Gear

It's untelling what is causing the drain. It could be a light on somewhere in the car. Could be a relay not disengaging when the key is switched off. See if you can hear something running when the car is turned off. Could be a fuel pump continuing to run, it is in the rear of the car with the gas tank. Or a climate control fan stuck on low. Also could be the radiator fan staying on way too long.