General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Troubleshooting - Need Help/Advice

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2008, 08:51 AM
Default Troubleshooting - Need Help/Advice

I have a 2000 S4 with about 70k. A few weeks ago it started making a whining noise when I give steering inputs. Like when I move the steering wheel back and forth it makes a waaawaaawaa noise. So at first I thought it was a power steering issue, but then I noticed that it makes the same noise when I give gas. I figured that there is a belt loose somewhere since thats what it sounds like (maybe drivebelt). I also noticed that even after driving 35 miles on the highway, the engine oil temperature stays at 150 (the lowest on the gauge) while the water temp is normal.
I had to take the car to the body shop because I got rear ended a while back. When I got it out of the shop yesterday the noise was gone (weird). I drove the car to work this morning (35 miles) and noticed that the oil temperature is still not going up (except for about 30 seconds when it reached 175).
This has me stumped...any suggestions?

Old 10-27-2008, 06:33 PM

Ok I am searching this site with the same dilema, well sort of.... '04 A4 Quattro 6sp 3.0 (63K mi)I didn't notice the waaaawwaaaawaaa noise when giving gas but definately when turning. My temp gauge has acted up randomly for years, ie I will be driving for 20-30+minutes and the gauge goes from mid (normal) to cold then back. I noticed the gauge was acting weirder than normal when the check eng came on, I checked the coolant level, turns out i was low. I didn't add anything since I wasn't sure if i needed the secret audi formula or if i could use something off the shelf and concluded it must be steering fluid i needed. Short story long I went to start my car today (after a week with the Check engine light on) and it turns but it won't start. It turns but doesn't "catch" am i looking a timing belt issue??? Anyhow, I am trying to get a feel for what the main issues are before I go to my local mechanic (my audi dealer is 60miles away so i know whether or not they are hosing my or not. HELP