General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

USB interface for MP3 playing

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2008, 03:30 PM
1st Gear
Default USB interface for MP3 playing

Hello all!

I really want an easy way to play MP3s in my A4 B5 (bose system) without making a large investment in something like an Ipod AND an Ipod interface, but I'm finding this is really difficult to research due to the overwhelming popularity of the ipod..

Anywho, I found a really slick device called the CTAADUSB003 available several places over in Europe which looks like it'd do exactly what I want.

What's particularly cool about this is it handles all the mp3 playback on its own.. you just arrange your music in directories like CD01, CD02, etc and then put up to 99 tracks in each folder. The cd prev/next controls on the factory stereo then browse through those folders like they're CDs in your changer... except you can have more than 6. B)

I also love that it works with both USB stick drives and SD cards or whatever media too.. plus a standard line in means it gives the added benefit of analog in in one fell swoop.

The problem is I can't find anywhere to get one of these for a reasonable price here in the states.. and the currency conversion really kills the price (over $150 shipped!)

Has anyone found something similar to this or come up with their own solution that integrates with the factory stereo? I really like the idea of using the CD changer interface considering a device like this would trump the cd changer in usefulness anyway...

Last edited by Tamale; 08-30-2008 at 03:46 PM.
Old 08-30-2008, 07:32 PM
1st Gear

wow.. I don't know how it took me so long to find this, but the exact same manufacturer has progressed quite a ways from this design and is now known as 'xcarlink'...

www.xcarlink.com

hope this helps anyone else that's interested.. if anything this just goes to show how hard it is to research mp3 stuff on the internet that's NOT the ipod.. ha. can't believe this product was this hard to find..

Old 08-30-2008, 08:26 PM

Wow! This is just what I'm looking for. I'm used to playing my ipod with a cassette adapter BUT my (recently purchased) Audi doesn't have a cassette player. I'm going to give this a try.

Thanks for doing all the "leg work"!

Old 08-30-2008, 08:42 PM
1st Gear

actually, if you want to hook up your ipod, there are better choices than this. there are several kits that actually let you control the ipod from the factory unit..

also, as for where to get this particular thing, this e-bay link is cheaper than the rest for some reason:

http://cgi.ebay.com/USB-MP3-Xcarlink...QQcmdZViewItem

Old 10-17-2008, 06:19 AM
1st Gear

you can find it on ebay for aprox $130. including the bluetooth capable one. i think i'l get one