General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Valentine 1 install

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2006, 01:48 AM
Default Valentine 1 install

I found an install procedure to hardware a Valentine 1 into an Audi S4 on another forum. It involved simply removing the front map light cluster, and using a "vampire tap" to steal power from the red and purple wire going to the sunroof. The problem with this power source is that it isn't switched on and off with the key... basically it is on all the time. The problem is if you forget to turn off your detector, it stays on all the time, draining your battery.

I had an M3 before, and there was a great procedure to steal power from the overhead cluster, but with power that is only present when the ignition is in position 2.

Can anyone help me find a power source that I can steal power from tthat is switched on and off with the key in position 2, or direct me to another Valentine hardware install that describes how to do this to prevent battery drain?

Old 02-16-2006, 01:56 AM
Default RE: Valentine 1 install

Here is the hardware install i am referring to in my post above...

http://www.audiworld.com/tech/elec105.shtml

Old 02-19-2006, 01:07 AM

I'm shocked no one has done this yet. NO ONE HAS WIRED A VALENTINE 1 INTO AN AUDI S4 powered by ACCESSORY POWER??

Old 04-27-2006, 03:33 PM

I am about to do this install aswell. I tried tapping switched power from behind the lightswitch. This worked in my wife's 04' TT. But I totally could not find it in my 06' A4. So if any one has any other places, besides behind the head unit, that I can find a ignition power to tap for my V1, please let a brotha know. Thanks in advance for any help!

Old 05-03-2006, 10:00 PM

I installed mine in my Audi A4 (2005.5). You need a multimeter and there some gotchas. I am writing this from memory so this may not be exact. When you take the map light cover off and unscrew the casing for the whole assembly there will be a ground wire to the main light assembly. I believe it was the RED wire. I remember it being weird because it was the opposite that I thought it would be (meaning the black one). But the positive was harder to find. You have to tap into the sunroof controls. I believe it was the PURPLE/RED wire in the bunch. But use a multimeter just in case. These wires are extremely thin, as is the power for the V1.
Now you need into tap into it with a small tap-in (I used the smallest available from Radio Shack). When you tap in, use an extra wire as you will need to separate and twist it together with V1 power wire. Then wrap electric tape around the connection.
Also, you can pull down the top of the roof to snake it through.
Here is the thing though. Even though it is a switched (ignition) wire to the sunroof it will stay on after you cut off power to the car because it is connected to the power windows, sunroof, etc which stay on for a while for convenience. It will kill the power as soon as you open the door. But it will also come on if you use the key to roll up or down the windows. I am sorry I do not have pics, but if you have a steady hand and can tape the ground contact of the multimeter down you can just the connector that the PURPLE/RED striped wire is connected to. You will have to leave your door open but turn the car and on and off and it will make the multimeter jump from 0 to 12 volts and then back down respectively.
MAKE SURE YOU TEST FOR THE GROUND!
Hope this helps,
Alex