General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Water Temperature Sensor >> Dead???

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2008, 05:24 PM
1st Gear
Default Water Temperature Sensor >> Dead???

5000cs Turbo

Water temperature gauge in the dash is dead, no reading.

Can you damage the water temperature sending unit by cleaning it (with a wire rotary brush on a drill), or by mixing up the connecting wires (does it matter what wire connects to what terminal on the sensor, can you short it out?)

Put in a new radiator the other day, took the thermo switch (for the fan) off the old radiator and put it on the new one. But first cleaned it a bit with a wire rotary brush on a drill, noticed that the water temperature sending (looks like a big hex bolt with connection pins for the wires on the under side, on side of the cylinder head) had some scale build up, so cleaned it as well (same wires brush method). Put everything back together no problem, however not sure if I miswired the water temp. sensor. It is the updated one with 3 pin terminals (opposed to the original 4 pin type), it was wired with quick disconnects because the old connector was in bad shape, so it would be easy to mix up the wires if one did not note them (if each wire does a specific pin to connect to, how do I determine this now?). Fired the car up to check out everything and noticed that the Temp. gauge was giving no reading, and it took a really long time for the fan to kick on.

Old 01-24-2008, 09:37 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: Water Temperature Sensor >> Dead???

Not sure, I did have an '85 and '87 5000S, but never took the temp sender out. Most Audi connectors I have seen usually have a 'notch' or the pins line up so it will only go on the one way. So, try changing the wires around, since you don't have the original connector, maybe you'll get a temp reading. Good luck

Old 01-25-2008, 10:14 AM
1st Gear

I have tried that (swithing the wires around, in every possible combination) and nothing. I have also check all the wires for continuity from the sensor to the back of the intrusument display in the dash (to make sure a wire was not damaged somewhere along the line), everything checked out.

My concern is if you can short it out by miswiring the sensor (???). I would hate to blow the new one when I get it.

Old 01-25-2008, 09:40 PM
1st Gear

So, typ 44, you have continunity from the sensor to the back of the cluster, it's either a bad sensor or a bad temp guage in the cluster. At the age of your car I would suspect the sensor.
An Audi dealer should be able to tell you IF you can damage the sensor by reversing the wires to it.