Intake, Headers and Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

exhaust help

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2008, 10:20 PM
Default exhaust help

I have a 1996 a4 quattro 2.8 (i understand it to have the B5 engine) What and where can i go/do for this guys exhaust? from the headers back to the tip. i dont kno where to shop. and whats up with an intake? where should i go for that as well? i can only find a K&N intake for it. is this a good product? if it is of any diff any one with ideas or info you can reply here for sure but my e-mail is martym32584@yahoo.com thnx.

Old 12-07-2008, 04:40 PM
Administrator

eBay for the intake, or get a drop-in K&N panel filter and drill out the airbox (check the Tech area for the DIY procedure). K&N is a very good product - no worries there.

Headers were made in very limited numbers, and from what I've read, they're extremely expensive (think $1100ish), plus a LOT of money or labor to install (not sure if they can be installed with the engine in the car), for very little gain. Ditto the exhaust - you're paying a grand or more for a catback, gaining nice sound, but only a few hp (as in 3-4hp). Or you can just get an aftermarket muffler and have it welded on, get virtually the same sound, and save about $800. You will not likely feel the few hp you'd gain with a catback, which is why most V6 guys don't do them.

Check the newbie guide to the A4 (in the A4 forum, B5 subforum) for more info on all of this and more about your car - it's meant to be required reading before posting as this topic has been beaten to death uncountable times on the boards here.