Intake, Headers and Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

how to get that deep throaty sound + exposing A6 exhaust

Old 06-25-2007, 05:23 PM
1st Gear
Default how to get that deep throaty sound + exposing A6 exhaust

Well I'm a noob with just about everything to do with cars. How can I make a car give that deep throaty sound, is there a cheap way say for around 100 - 200 dollars/euros which ever? I've been told I can just fit exhaust tips and that will work or was I just being tagged along?

Secondly I've been looking at an A6 C598-2001 before the "face lift". And well was wondering if there is anyway to change the virtical exhaust to a horizontal one easily or would it take too much effort?

Thanks for any help

Old 06-25-2007, 06:43 PM
Default RE: how to get that deep throaty sound + exposing A6 exhaust

You can lop off the center resonator and replace with straight pipe. But I found the difference absolutely minimal. You can replace the rear mufflers with aftermarket, but the dampen a LOT of sound so be sure you want a loud car, and do a search for some recommendations on mufflers that fit back there.

LLtek.com has a conversion kit if you're looking for visible exhaust tips. Not too difficult, just need to watch for park sensors if so equipped and be careful cutting the rear fascia/cover.

Old 06-29-2007, 01:59 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: how to get that deep throaty sound + exposing A6 exhaust

Here's the link to the LLtek conversion, as smtcapecod said:

http://lltek.com/exhaust_tips_a64b_prefaclft.htm

It looks to be pretty well done (alright, the tips look a BIT cheesy, but hey, it's pretty cheap and they're adjustable) and it doesn't look like it would be too much work, other than cutting the bumper so that they fit correctly. (That would be the hardest part, I'm assuming)

Oh, and about the deep throaty sound. I'd advise you to first figure out if you REALLY want a louder car. All enthusiasts want their car to sound more aggressive, but you have to be careful with the muffler selection on Audis. On a Mustang, it wouldn't really matter, because it's loud either way, and it fits that image. On the Audi, though, it might be a bit out of place if you have a *screaming* exhaust on a family mover A6. If you decide that you do want to take the plunge, try and seek out a muffler that doesn't have too much interior resonance, as that'll be the biggest hurdle to get used to if you do end up choosing new muffler(s). You can probably find some decent Magnaflow mufflers for around $200-$300, but I'm not quite sure how loud they are.

I'd probably suggest you do what smtcapecod said, and get rid of the center resonator. It might not be much, but you'll see if that floats your boat. If not, no big deal, you only made a small change, and you can install new mufflers down the road.