Intake, Headers and Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

Junk science?

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2006, 04:41 PM
4th Gear
Default Junk science?

Now I've seen some snake oil devices... (magnet fuel line collars, air tubulance reducers, etc.) that promise the moon yet are simply bullsheet products designed to soak gullible people, but now I ran into this thing that TT Stuff is selling.

http://www.ttstuff.com/Merchant2/mer...Code=EVO-A4102

For the cost, this EvoShield might be worth a try. Has anyone tried it or know anything about this product?

Old 01-02-2007, 03:16 AM
pms
1st Gear
Default RE: Junk science?

It's a mod seen often in Honda/Acura circles...put a non-conductive layer between the block and the intake manifold in an effort to prevent heat from soaking to the manifold and pre-heating the intake charge. I never saw anyone pick up more hp on a dyno than could be attributed to typical run-to-run deviations (it always seemed to me that for this approachto be truly effective, you'd have to use non-conductive material for the manifold bolts/fasteners, and even then who is to say that the heat that did not transfer to the manifold by way of conduction wouldn't ultimately get there anyway through convection). There is nothing wrong with the premise, but I think you'd get way more power out of a good port match and/or a change of plugs.

Old 01-02-2007, 12:31 PM
Administrator
Default RE: Junk science?

That's the kind of mod that it seems would really only be potentially useful if you were building an all-out monster power engine, the type where the expense and power you're looking at means you leave no stone unturned (ie, standalone, huge turbo, custom header, race port/polished head, etc). On a street car, you're probably just wasting money.