Intake, Headers and Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

K&N HP gain? Exhaust?

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2008, 01:51 PM
1st Gear
Default K&N HP gain? Exhaust?

K&N does'nt list the HP gain for a panel filter for a 2K S4....anyone know what it is?

I would also like to know what HP and/or torque gain I'm getting from my straight 2.5" Al pipes(from the CAT's into "Y"pipe back...single)?

Old 08-20-2008, 03:46 PM
2nd Gear

I dont know actual numbers but i do know that i felt a little difference with a drop in and a huge difference with exhaust so there was definitly some power gains and i have an NA engine, the TT s4 should get some better numbers for sure!

Old 08-23-2008, 04:24 PM

I put a K&N in my A4 and didn't really notice much difference between the old one I had. But, once I put my turbo back exhaust on with the new down pipe, I really noticed a difference.

Old 08-23-2008, 08:53 PM
1st Gear

Sure, I noticed an increase from each of my upgrades....I just was curious if anyone knew the actual #'s. Unfortunitly the nearest dyno is over an hour away. With time, money and other issues. Its not pratical at the moment to do so. I figure we, as AF members, could compile enough data to roughly conclude our power. Although K&N doesnt list the increase for my car, I belive for an A4 it was 5HP. In time Im sure we'll figure it out. Currently Im guessing my output is between 350-380HP.....Stage 2 - 2K S4.

Old 08-23-2008, 09:59 PM
1st Gear

well in two weeks ill have a side pipe with no restrictions except the cats. in about a month i will have the filter. then eventually a chip. but i would predict that the exhaust would definitely add more than the filter. but both together is the best thing to do. so ill give my personal results when i find out but i doubt it will be a noticeable difference. but with an S4 total u mite get 15 hp possibly more.

Old 08-24-2008, 11:18 AM
1st Gear

To be more definitive on my part. I first replaced the filter, then straight pipe from the cats back. Shortly after I drove hours to 2Bennett, an only Audi - APR distributer, for my ECU. Spending the day there tought me alot. They informed me that the APR dyno graphs do not include intake or exhaust. So I asked how much more would those add to it, explaining that I have just straight pipes and a K&N panel? He said up to 50HP, but Im feeling more like just 30HP. Then when he drove my S4, me in the passenger seat, the NEW stock clutch broke loose when flooring it. Keep in mind it drove fine on the way there. He said not all ECU reprogramming is the same for each S4. In order to do that I would have to be putting out close to 380HP. I now have an RS4 clutch which holds like a champ. I would also like to add that the power gain from driving in 90deg weather compared to 40deg is rediculous, about 50HP. When the summer heat soaks my IC's and the ECU dies down the engine to match, I feel like a snail(325HP). But when winter comes around I feel unstoppable(380HP). Any and all input from AF regarless of model is appreciated.

Old 08-25-2008, 04:37 PM

you are right with the air temperatures outside.
When i drive my car in the city and the ambiental air temperature is about 40 dgrs my car from 1500 rpm to 4000 rpm delivers as much power as an 1.4 litre engine(under my hood sits an 2.6 litre engine NA)
When I drive in the mountains it-s great to drive....It is stronger than an 2.0 tdi engine and both engines deliver aprox 150 hp...
I don-t think the air filter would help much....I mounted a large tube from the throttle body directly to the front of the car so the air does not get heated from the engine and it felt nothing.So after a fiew night tests(in the day time it's to much dust)i realised that my engine is not helped with my"direct inlet" )

And about the exhaust....After the catalisator i mounted a 7 cm inox pipe anulating the middle muffler.The final muffler it is an isota one.
After 4500 rpm my engine does not deliver the same power as with the stock exhaust.
But not all the time....Is the gas traveling to fast for the oxigen sensor to read? )

Old 08-25-2008, 08:35 PM
1st Gear

Side note: Regarless of anything, any car or mod.....driving at high altitude decreases power(less oxygen), however if its freezing *** cold, then your getting more power. I drove to Idaho from CA, in NV on I80 I could tell the difference from high CA and low NV @ Bonneville. Love that drive(crusing @ 140)...just watch for cops with lasers....see I got a ticket thread.

Old 08-28-2008, 04:16 PM
1st Gear

I thought I heard before that forced induction vehicles don't suffer from that as much.

Old 08-28-2008, 07:51 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by TommyGunns
I thought I heard before that forced induction vehicles don't suffer from that as much.
That is true..."as much". But just that. Induction with cold temp. will condense the oxygen. Just observe it for your self. I've had other fast cars, but my S4 is the first to give me a true sense of the night and day difference from power gain in temp.