Interior What have you done to the inside of your ride? Customized it? Kept it super clean? Talk about it here.

racing seats and interior dye opinions.

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2012, 08:29 PM
1st Gear
Default racing seats and interior dye opinions.

While looking for a replacement mirror for my b5 in the junk yard and I came across a pair of racing seats that were fitted in another b5 so I mannaged to get seats and brackets almost set to go. Now before I go about installing them or anything I wanted to ask if anybody could give me some input in comport loss and such with reclining buckets. They are bright blue so i want to fix that (my car is hibiscus red) and i also can't stand my grey interior. I have heard of great results with dyes.

(brutal opinions, sarcasm, and faces like this always appreciated.
thank you

Old 01-07-2013, 03:36 AM
1st Gear

Personally I love having the stock seats. Just because I take my car to the snow a lot and I like my butt nice and toasty. But for the racing seats. If it's your daily driver after about a couple months you will get tired of them. Trust me I used to have them in my old car. Especially if the seats don't have lumbar support you are just asking to have an achy back. Also if the seats don't recline you might find it annoying to sit straight up. Which I can't stand. I like being able to lean back in my car and feel comfortable. But that's just my opinion. They look cool and all. But if that's your daily driver your not gonna be diggin' them. As for interior dye. I took the easier way out by just wrapping the A, B, & C pillars and my headliner in black suede. Rather than having to deal with paint which can be a bitch at times. It looks pretty good there's some pictures in on my profile if you wanna take a look at it.

Old 01-08-2013, 08:39 PM
1st Gear

i was leaning towards "racing" seats myself but i remebered how my old ones where and lukestaah is right they start to "suck" for me after awhile so i found these instead, civil looking
not far off from stock

Just a thought

---- Recro Ergomed ES

Old 01-19-2013, 07:56 PM
1st Gear

The whole reason i am considering installing the seat is because my **** warmers burned a hole in my cheek the other day when i turned them on. ( pause for laughter) so between being sick of losing my place in the corners. Currently i have the racing seat apart to build up the lumbar section. They are reclining i am not building a track car........yet. i would l like to know how to keep the airbag light off the dash. Thank you again for your input. Also anybody manage to dye their dash? I hate the gray.

Last edited by thatguysa4; 01-19-2013 at 07:59 PM.
Old 02-04-2013, 07:26 AM
1st Gear

Well I don't know about dying the dash... if you were going to go through the hassle of that just install a black one from a junkyard 100$ ish plus you could do prevenative maintence and change out the heater core :/ I am with you on the racing seats. I have momo's installed in mine, going on a year now. I swapped out front and rear seats so they would all match. I have grown to like them. My original seats did not have heaters so no loss. And yeah the seats are baller and firm but man they do kinda suck in their own right.. Not great for long car trips. They are like the stock seats and you have to roll a dial to recline, ugh. I hate those dials so much. Make sure you have lumbar!!! Mine have a huge amount built in but that is the only redeeming feature. I just hated sliding on the fake leather seats around tight corners so I replaced them. Plus no more cold seats in winter or scalding hot seats in the summer The airbag light can be turned off with a simple resistor from ebay, you usually have to buy a pack of ten or something, couple bucks max. They are yellow and purple and I think 4.7ohms?? Someone correct me if I am wrong on that. you need a simple vag-com device that can access airbag settings and clear the fault codes once those resistors are fitted in place of the seat plugs. Or if you are smart unplug the seat airbags, slip the resistors in before turning car on and you won't have to worry about your car freakin out over no side airbags. I'll upload a pic I got from a helpful guy a while back from some ancient email in an ancient forum post. His email still worked Sorry no pics of the seats in my car :P Will post a pic if anyone wants me too but here is that pic. You'll get the idea, really simple.Make sure you use grade 8 bolts on your seat frame set up and I guess that's all I have to offer. Good luck man.
Name:  iphone383_zpsb9f99c27.jpg
Views: 909
Size:  23.0 KB
Name:  011_zpsa4acb2b5.jpg
Views: 379
Size:  77.3 KB
Name:  010_zps459fd997.jpg
Views: 379
Size:  39.6 KB

Old 02-10-2013, 03:03 PM
1st Gear

Looks good. Thank you for the advise.