Mechanics & Workshops Kudos and complaints equally welcome. Know a good one? Know a bad one? Advise/warn others.

who is the best mechanic?

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2014, 10:49 AM
1st Gear
Default who is the best mechanic?

The best and honest mechanic is someone who you can trust in telling you the truth about your car. I just recently took my 2002 A6 3.0 to KDS Automotive because my car wouldn't start. He charged $90.00 an hour trying to find the solution. As he was looking at it he would call an update his progress. The last call I got was 5 hat it was my multifunctional switch to my transmission and the part cost $400 and he said the dealer charges more for it. After I did my research I found the dealer price cheaper than his for $270. He said he doesn't work with other parts place just his. I said Ok and do the work. The repair price he quoted to me was $600. When I showed up with the money ready to pay, I asked for my old part back. (Always ask for your old parts back) he paused for a moment then handed me a bill for $390. I asked what was done and what about the switch? He said he found some corroded Wires and had to tape them up. He didn't say if they were wires from the switch or not. As I drove off my EPC Light came on and I went back to the shop. He said that I still needed my multifunctional switch, I told him that I thought he fix the wires and it was good. I asked him what was the $390 for and it was for and that was for him to find the problem and taped up wires. He the said if I got the switch he would put it on for free. When I got home and looked under the hood, I found a black wire leading from my starter to my ignition switch. This wire was not there before. I asked him about it and he denied doing the wire, which he lied because wire clippings are all over my carpet under the dash. I called another mechanic (the one I should've dealt with first) and he explained what he did was bypass the safety switch and now the car will start in drive and reverse. Plus it stalls and lags until the gear kicks in. So I have been going in circles with this guy, all had to do was just be truthful on what he did. I was happy that he got it started but at least let me know what you did to get it going. That stunt he did I use to do it to my old audi 's to keep rolling. I'm here now waiting in the shop for him to put it on for free which I spent three weeks trying to do because he kept putting it off. Don't go to this guy...

Last edited by AudiRobA6; 06-27-2014 at 11:06 AM.
Old 06-27-2014, 01:33 PM
Senior Administrator

AudiRob,

You inspired me to create this sub-forum, just for complaints like yours.

Praise can also be reflected, here, if one chooses.