New Member Welcome Area Are you new to Audi Forums? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

audi 80 problems

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2004, 02:00 PM
Default audi 80 problems

Hey,
After progressing from a 15 year old, 100 quid nova to a 10 year old audi 80, I have realised that the new car is a bit more complicated than the old! I've only had it a month and problems already. Its done 100000 miles with a full service history, but I'm starting to find that sometimes it misfires and loses power. Its not really when under load, it can be just at a constant speed or even when idling it can threaten to stall but then just recover. Some journeys its fine, some its not. Sometimes I can sense when I start up its going to be a troublesome journey, and if I turn it off and start up again its fine. Luckily on long journeys its always fine in the end, so far. Has any one got any ideas? I keep seeing things about this MAF meter...
cheers,
C

Old 08-11-2004, 07:23 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: audi 80 problems

Hmm.. you may want to check the spark plugs first off to make sure they are in good condition. If you are misfiring then you may need new plugs, which is not a terribly costly investment. It could be any number of other things, so to get a good idea of what's wrong without taking it to a dealer, you may want to invest in a VAG-COM so you can diagnose the problem yourself. Plus it'll keep the dealer/shop honest if you end up taking it in.

BTW, welcome to the forum!!

Old 08-12-2004, 01:30 AM
2nd Gear

Yes, welcome to the forums. Norcaltrojan is right on the VAG-COM. Could be a number of things, the only way to be sure you've got it is check those codes. Get 'er checked out and keep us posted. Other than the rough idle, do you like the car?

Old 08-12-2004, 06:19 AM

Thanks you guys.
Other than the problems, I like the car. Its not fast but after 10 years it still looks classy. I'll let you know how the fault finding goes.
C.

Old 08-12-2004, 09:07 PM
3rd Gear

Welcome to the forum clarky!

This is a great site. We keep the dialogue friendly and the attitude positive. The info is well received by all and we are here to help anyone with the need. I hope you find it to your liking as well.

If you're not familiar with this forum, please click the START HERE! link. There you will find a forum vocab list, an Audi forum terminology list and an Audi lexicon list. They should be very helpful to you if you're not familiar with the jargon.

Please feel free to ask any question, but double check the archives first. Many questions have been archived and, quite often, the answers are comprehensive.