New Member Welcome Area Are you new to Audi Forums? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Audi A4 Quattro Lock problem

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2009, 11:21 AM
Default Audi A4 Quattro Lock problem

Some help!!! please
My Audi (A4 Quattro 1997) some days ago have a problem that the doorlock didn't work. When I put the key to open they didn' get down or up, but the window work correctly also the alarm.

jessica

Old 02-08-2009, 12:01 PM
1st Gear

Do the doors lock/unlock with the key? Some times the little indicator button on the top of the door sill, that lets you know if the door is locked/unlocked gets stuck, or even breaks..making it look like the door is always locked.

So have the door so it's locked, and try to unlock it with the key. Regardless if the button is up, or down try to open the door.
And then try the opposite. Lock the door, and check it it's really locked.

If you're having lock issues with the drivers door, walk around to the passenger door. You will probably have better luck there, as the lock on this side sees little use, and should still be in good shape.

Old 02-09-2009, 08:35 AM

X2. I had to walk around to the other side as well. I have a inside door lock switch coming. The door locks are controlled by vacuum assist. There are special modules for each door. You could have a leak or an actuator is shot. Just remember turn twice to the left to unlock all doors, if you haven't figured that out yet .

Old 02-09-2009, 01:53 PM
Administrator

Check inside your trunk if you hear any particular humming type of sound from the (IIRC) the right side of the panel facing the car. That is where the door lock vacuum is located and you can usually hear the humming sound once you look/unlock the door.

If you don't hear the sound, there is a big change that the vacuum is out and it's time for a new one.

Best way to get it is through junkyard (cheaper) but you're gonna have to look and wait. I have heard that Passats use the same type of vacuum. Of course there is also the dealer way (which is the easiest but most costly).

Good luck!

Old 02-09-2009, 03:34 PM

Thank! I'm trying today!!,

Sepp: No the doors doesn't lock/unlock whit the key.

Old 04-26-2009, 07:56 PM

Hello guys,

I kinda have the same problem. I only have a key for my 97 A4 and when I tried to unlock the door today, it didn't work. The passenger door doesn't work either. The car has not been driven in 2 weeks but I don't see why that should be the problem.
Does anybody know how to open the car before I try CAA or breaking a window. I don't think CAA will work because they crack open the door a little bit and use a wire to try to push on the unlock button. Since my vacuum is out...that probably won't work.
1997 Audi A4 1.8T Quattro
Thanks

Old 04-27-2009, 09:44 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by adimutu7
Hello guys,

I kinda have the same problem. I only have a key for my 97 A4 and when I tried to unlock the door today, it didn't work. The passenger door doesn't work either. The car has not been driven in 2 weeks but I don't see why that should be the problem.
Does anybody know how to open the car before I try CAA or breaking a window. I don't think CAA will work because they crack open the door a little bit and use a wire to try to push on the unlock button. Since my vacuum is out...that probably won't work.
1997 Audi A4 1.8T Quattro
Thanks
If you haven't driven/started the car in a while, it is possible that the battery is dead.
I think you can manually unlock the car but it will be harder than usual. Can you open the trunk?

Old 05-05-2009, 02:25 PM

Hi, i am new at all this and do not want to steal the thread, but i just couldn't resist as i am having a similar problem.
I have a 96 Audi A4 Quattro that i bought yesterday. I did not get the original remote with the car, but it is behaving in the most interesting way.
Here's what i have observed;

If i turn the key once to open the drivers door, nothing happens.
If i turn the key twice, all doors + trunk + fuel door unlock and the car disarms

I can lock the car from outside with the key, one turn and everything locks and the car is armed

I can also lock and arm the car with the remote.

Problem:
If i push unlock on the remote, car is disarmed but doesn't unlock, (i do get the turn signals to flash twice and that red blinker in the dash turns off)
Nothing happens when i turn the key once, just to unlock the drivers door and nothing else.

How do i get the unlock thing to work from the remote

Any suggestions or help will be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by salman_z8; 05-05-2009 at 02:35 PM.
Old 05-06-2009, 02:46 AM
Administrator

salman_z8 - Welcome to the forums!

I have a 2001.5 my self so it could be different from your car.

Anyway, if I turned the key once (to the left), I will open ONLY the driver's door and also disarm the alarm. One more turn will open all the other doors including trunk and gas panel (alarm was already disarmed by the first turn).

If I turned the key to the right once, I will be able to lock all of the doors and armed the alarm.

As for the remote, pressing it once will unlock ONLY the driver's door while disarming the alarm and twice will unlocked all the doors and such.

However, I believe my remote is different than yours as I have the switchblade and I believe the pre-facelift B5's come with separate remotes.

For further info for your particular year, you can go right ahead and ask the question in the dedicated A4 - B5 section elsewhere in this forums.

Good luck!

Old 05-11-2009, 10:25 PM

Hi,

I could not open the trunk either. I would turn the key and nothing happened. I managed to use a coat hanger open the hood through the grill...the battery... works fine now....as long as I don't let sit for another month....it was surprising that the air leaked.

Thanks for your help anyway.