New Member Welcome Area Are you new to Audi Forums? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dual Clutch vs Manual

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2012, 12:04 AM
1st Gear
Default Dual Clutch vs Manual

So today I test drove an S5 dual clutch. But I did test drive a manual stick shift S5 at another dealership. And between the two, I got that rush out of the stick shift but the dual clutch didn't do it for me. The dual clutch did not making driving fun and it still felt like an automatic. But of course, I never drove a dual clutch so I don't know how to use it for performance driving. I'm more familiar with manual transmission.

The S5 with stick the salesman was able to make that thing launch. But for the dual clutch S5, the salesman didn't demonstrate since he didn't drive at all. I didn't get to feel the car's full potential in dual clutch because traffic was kinda heavy and I didn't want to be charged with wreckless driving.

He highly recommend it and stated manual transmission is out dated. He says he has raced professionally and sees dual clutch as superior to the manual transmission as it can shift faster and more precise than any human.

So I take his word that it will perform better, have more control, and beat any manual trans. But in the end, which car will be more enjoyable to drive if I don't care to beat anyone.

The only advantage I see of manual over dual clutch is that you can disengage the clutch at any time which I tend to do for turns, especially left turn lanes. If I have manual trans and see a yellow light for the left turn lane, I speed up to the light, disengage the clutch through the left turn, and engage it to pull out of the turn. So how would you do that on a dual clutch if you can't really disengage the clutch? Also, if you're in cruising speed on the freeway at low RPM and need a boost, can dual clutch shift faster say two gears down than a manual trans can?

I feel this is one of those debates that can go on forever with two sides arguing why they think they're right and why the other one is wrong. Maybe manual is old school and dual clutch is modern and the future of racing. But there are many things with this same idea where people still like the old school stuff over the new. Like video games, Nintendo's Super Mario games came out as side scrollers with 8 bit graphics, but eventually went 3D because that was the future. And then gamers wanted Mario to go back to it's 2D side scrolling days and Nintendo made a game with modern graphics with its old school side scrolling gameplay. Some may say that's a waste to use new high def graphics on an old concept when it can be easily put into a game with a 3D world. I see stick shift as the same idea of using an old school method of driving on a modern machine. Like playing an old school style video game with modern graphics. So let me know what you guys think.

Old 12-19-2012, 02:21 AM
1st Gear
Default empower network scam

Thanks for sharing I really like post