New Member Welcome Area Are you new to Audi Forums? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Intermittent no start, please help!?

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2019, 01:18 AM
1st Gear
Default Intermittent no start, please help!?

2005 Audi A4 3.0 CVT 56,000 miles
Our Audi has an intermittent starting issue that is driving me crazy! My girlfriend goes to run an errand and it starts right up. She drives less than 5 minutes to the store, goes in for 5 minutes, comes out and the problem occurs. It cranks and cranks but won’t turn over. Usually within 1-15 minutes of waiting it will start up. No engine lights or anything. On two occasions she gave up and left it over night, when she goes back in the morning it starts just fine. I took it to my friends shop and left it there for 5 weeks, they took it on daily lunch runs, test drives, moved it in, out and around the shop but never experienced the problem. There were no codes except for an old coolant temp sensor code. Upon further inspection the sensor read 40 degrees warmer than the actual temperature. So they replaced the coolant temp sensor hoping it was the culprit. My girlfriend picked it up and drove it home with no problem. The first two consecutive days she drove it to the store, came out and it wouldn’t start. Minutes later it started no problem. Our shop is right next to the store where it keeps acting up, so she drove it to the shop day after day to try to recreate it but after multiple visits this car won’t show it’s true colors at the shop. It took a week and a half to act up again, it took two hours to start back up only this time after a couple minutes of driving she noticed both the driver and passenger climate control were turned to high heat on their own. It was a warm day and the ac was turned on prior to turning the car off. A minute later she arrived at the next store with the car idling for two minutes when the car stalled. After finishing her shopping it started immediately and didn’t act up the rest of the day. Could the climate control be related? I don’t see how it could be? My shops current suspicion is a bad crank speed sensor. Although he only charged me for 1 1/2 hours for diagnosis, I don’t expect them to continue looking at it for free and cannot afford anymore diagnostic testing or another repair that doesn’t fix my problem. Does anyone have any ideas for me?
Thanks in advance! Moud