New Member Welcome Area Are you new to Audi Forums? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

my first audi and its nice!

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2008, 03:21 PM
1st Gear
Default my first audi and its nice!

I just got my 1998 A41.8t with a 1.0 bar ecu upgrade/ k&n filter.everything else is stock, do i need to upgrade anything else with that ecu upgrade? is there anyone form santa barbara or santa cruz that wants give me a few pointers to help the performance of my car? and go on a sick drive?

Old 07-09-2008, 08:22 PM
Administrator
Default RE: my first audi and its nice!

Who makes the upgraded chip? If it's one of the usual tuners (GiAC, APR, etc) you'll need an aftermarket diverter valve (DV) - the stock one can't hold up to the increased boost. Also, make sure the plugs are gapped down. Stock gapping is .032" but with a chip such as those mentioned, you need to take the gap down to .028" to effectively jump the gap and combust.

Old 07-10-2008, 01:17 PM
1st Gear

I have a neuspeed (race 1.0). Im a newbie so i dont know much but im gaining knowledge everyday on here! im dont know what a dv valve? dv is different from a bov? when you say gapping plugs?do you meanmy spark plugs? and efficiantly jump the gap and combust? i just got my audi like 1 1/2 weeks ago so im really new!youraudi is sick, those rotors are nice what are they?

Old 07-13-2008, 12:51 AM
Administrator

A DV is a diverter valve - it's the same idea as a blowoff valve but it vents the boost air back into the intake piping rather than to the atmosphere. The mass air sensor has metered the air already and the car is fueled appropriately, expecting to see that air. If you purge it out of the car (with a BOV) you'll get a rich spike during the shift, and that excess fuel screws up the cat and O2 sensors.

With the gap, yes I was referring to gapping the spark plugs. As boost increases, the spark has a harder time jumping the gap from the electrode of the plug to its ground. By tightening the gap from the stock .032" to .028", the car can still fire under the higher boost that the chip allows you, and you'll avoid misfires.

Thanks for the compliments on my car - the rotors are Powerstop upgraded rotors for the A8. You can get a budget big-brake kit (BBK) by buying the A8 rotors and Audi TT caliper carriers. The kit is sold by ECS Tuning (www.ecstuning.com) and Pure Motorsports (www.purems.com), for around $265 if you want blank rotors, or $350 if you want slotted or slotted and cross-drilled (which is what I picked). I got Hawk street ceramic pads as well, for $94, and the combination is fantastic. The stock rotors on the A4 are 11.3" diameter, and the A8 rotors are 12.3". The kit is a straight bolt-up affair, and makes a huge difference in stopping. When you need new front brakes, don't even question it - buy that kit. It's night and day. If you search out on here, I doubt you'll find a single person who upgraded to the A8 setup and didn't think it was worth it.

Old 07-14-2008, 12:58 PM
1st Gear

I Have THE S4 spark plug kitdoes that helps? Is it hard to install a radiator? i was racing the other day and cracked mine!! it was so miner tho that a leak stop fixed. Do you lose boost or anything with a cracked radiator? i know tempeture rises a little but dose it effect anything else?