New Member Welcome Area Are you new to Audi Forums? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Santa Monica Audi said my '06 A3 needs a new trans,,,WHAT?

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2007, 02:40 AM
Kat
Default Santa Monica Audi said my '06 A3 needs a new trans,,,WHAT?

I took my A3 to Santa Monica Audi a few months ago for its first service. They told me to file an insurance claim because my transmission was leaking. Iwas struck by an object on the freeway that had fallen off the back of truck and was struck by another car before itflew undernear my car. When I got home I checked the car but didn't see anything, then didn't think anymore about it. Until. The claim adjuster said it didn't look like much and to continue driving it for a few hundred miles and see what happens. After a several weeks and several puddles in my driveway, I took it back in. The adjuster returned again and said that he only saw a scratch. It seemed that he doubted my story and therefore was going to deny my claim. I was concerned about his competence, now I'm also concerned about Santa Monica Audi. I didn't think Audis would leak within the first year. Could something have cracked or come loose? Any suggestions other than having them make sure there is enough fluid and taking it out of there?[]
Did I mention that I love, love, love my little white A3.

Old 10-19-2007, 12:02 PM
4th Gear
Default RE: Santa Monica Audi said my '06 A3 needs a new trans,,,WHAT?

That claims adjuster sounds sketchy to begin with. A leaking trans is a big issue, he shouldn't have told you to continue driving. Seems like the dealership wants nothing to do with it as well. Theres obviously a problem because it leaking. I suggest you file that claim again and request another adjuster, and this time push the issue that you won't accept no for an answer. Did you by chance get the object that struck your car? Goodluck

Old 10-27-2007, 09:32 PM
Kat
Default RE: Santa Monica Audi said my '06 A3 needs a new trans,,,WHAT?

I took the A3 out of the dealership and called the adjuster's supervisor. Before I had a chance to talk to him I spoke with one of the mechanics where I work. He used to work as an investigator/Inspector for an extended warrranty company. He told me what to look for and what to say to pursue what I needed. Right after I talked to him the supervisor called me back and suggested that I take it to another more reputable transmission shop and then call him and he would send out another adjuster. At least he didn't blow me off. I got to the recommended trans shop which was extremely busy and he suggested that I go down the block to a shop that specializes in Audis. The guyat Euro Techsaid that he was busy for the next two weeks but agreed to put it up on a lift that was free,after I had briefly explained by delima. It was the first time that I was able to look underneath. It was hard to see where the leak was coming from, so he wiped it down and said to leave it for about an hour, so we went to lunch. When we came back he put it back up and we saw where it was beginning to drip. It was the only location where there was any fluid. He noticed that the washer around the trans drain plug looked a little crooked, so he got a breaker bar and an allen socket and tightened it a good quarter turn. Wa La! No more drip. No charge. He asked me to bring it back in next week and he will top off the fluid for a lot less than $300.00 that the dealership had quoted. It looks as if my A3 has found a safe place to go. Euro Tech in Culver City. My hero. It hasn't leaked since. I called the adjuster's supervisor and told him what happened. I also told him that my friend had said that he knew about Santa Monica Audi and said that they had been involved in some sort of sting. We discussed how people expect higher standards in dealerships and how disappointing some can be. I also said that I was going to inform the Bureau of Automotive Repair.
Thanks for your vote of confidence, Kat