Nitrous, Super Chargers, & Turbos All charged talk about going, and going FAST!

1996 A4 2.8q Small Twins or Big Single?

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2010, 09:11 PM
Location: Originally from Connecticut Now in New Hampshire/Manie
Smile 1996 A4 2.8q Small Twins or Big Single?

What are the necessary modification to install twin turbo or even a single? As of right now my '96 A4 2.8L q is naturally aspirated
(A fun way to say SLOW as ****)
I'm looking into adding some air to this engine and I'm not sure if a few elements are up to the task.
As for the fuel management system, what can it handle be for it needs to be upgraded to prevent lean conditions? Is a computer mod preferred or larger injectors, or both.
The top end? Can It deliver? at what point of aspiration should that be upgraded? Is cam timing an issue while adding? (So many questions)
The bottom end? Can it handle some power? I'm not looking for a 9 sec car hear. Just some more power to get to work on time for once. I wanna turbo charge the engine... not sure how big I wanna go with it, that why I have so many questions. My target is to upgrade the fuel/air delivery with out having to do to many mods.
If you can answer even some questions that would be great. I've been a Auto Tech for about 7 years now so hopefully I can return the help at some point.
THANKS!!!

Attached Images  
Old 02-17-2010, 04:50 AM
1st Gear

if your able to come up with a reasonalbe priced kit let me know i wanna do the same for my car too.

from what ive read you'd need a stand alone system MS cause the stock ecu wernt good.
injectors id imagine ud go bigger with a stronger pump.

i think tunings gonna be a pain cause no ones really done this before or something.

i was thinking of using s4 parts and custom everything else.... but i imagine its gonna be bank.

i wonder if u picked up a universal ebay kit, modified the piping and custom the manifold to hold the turbo if that would work? Then have your MS system and find a place to tune it.

idk keep me informed on your progress!
good luck.
ps. guys on her answer ridiculously slow...

Old 02-17-2010, 07:50 AM
Default gunna be fun

From what I'm gathering. The 2.8l is a reliable POS!! ha! No but it is reliable because its a strong design with out forced induction. Any power Mods are going to have to be custom. Only thing made for the b5 2.8 is a supercharger. $6k for the whole kit. It makes 300whp. also i found a chip for $300, makes 20whp. Don't seem worth it. I might end up doing a 1.8 swap on this car...

Old 02-17-2010, 12:54 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by IIF3LIXII
From what I'm gathering. The 2.8l is a reliable POS!! ha! No but it is reliable because its a strong design with out forced induction. Any power Mods are going to have to be custom. Only thing made for the b5 2.8 is a supercharger. $6k for the whole kit. It makes 300whp. also i found a chip for $300, makes 20whp. Don't seem worth it. I might end up doing a 1.8 swap on this car...
would the 1.8t drop in?
i noticed those engine are pretty expensive.....saw one on ebay with out the turbo for 1800.

i was thinking about that also but wasnt sure what would be needed for a swap.

Old 02-17-2010, 03:47 PM
Tech Slut

do some searching around here, and go on vortex too, This is going to be an incredibly expensive endeavor... Plus you have a 12 valve. Im not sure they even offer a supercharger for the 12valve.

Old 02-18-2010, 08:02 AM
Administrator

Motodyne had one for the 12v but there was a ton of crap surrounding it and them. No one tunes the 12v ECU - you'd have to go completely custom. S4 parts are very unlikely to bolt up to your heads - they aren't even a fit to the 30v heads which are much more similar to the S4 heads. Bottom end strength? Who knows? No one tunes the 12v engine. The B5 supercharger yields roughly 300 crank hp, not wheel hp. It retails for $3300 from PES and is for the 30v only. Anyone who tells you that a chip on an NA V6 is going to
yield 20whp is blowing smoke up your ***.

The 1.8T can be swapped in. So can the 2.7T from the S4. Ditto the 4.2 V8 from the A6/A8. All will require you to be resourceful, adept at wrenching, and to have a good functional knowledge of A4s. None will be cheap. All will be able to make far more power than the two NA V6s offered in the B5, with far less (or no) work done to them.

That should cover it. So do the sticky posts in the B5 A4 subforum (there's a lot more in there too). Bottom line - gotta research the cars before buying and buy the model that best suits your needs.

Further clarification can be found through the Search feature - this topic is probably only surpassed in frequency here by posts regarding HIDs and wheel style questions.

Old 02-18-2010, 08:33 AM

Thanks man.. ya From what I've been researching your absolutely right. My previous assumptions came from the stickies posted. as far as the cost of the supercharger and provided power. I'm a good wrench but Audi is relatively new to me. I'll get the hang of it. Think my best bet is a motor swap.

Old 02-23-2010, 06:39 PM

whats up i have been checking stuff out bout doin a 1.8 swap in my 96 12v from what i gather the splines on the trans shaft are the same but i don't know about the bolt pattern on the bell housing i have looked at the 1.8 trans in a pic and the 2.8 in the pic they look the same but they could be diff you would have to use the 1.8 flywheel and clutch plus the other problem is the wiring the computer has different plugs on it so a complete wiring harness would have to be used so it would prob take more work than you think i would love to do the same with my car but you would basically have to have a hole wrecked car that you could transfer every think to and you would have to use a manual trans motor if the 2.8 trans would work cause the auto trans from what i have read are completely different including the computer of course i love my car so much and it use to make me so mad when everyone on this site would down the thought of a swap on these cars that came with the 12v 2.8 but they are right you could pretty much sell your car and buy a 1.8t or a s4 just think what you would spend on doing the swap plus the price of your car unless you find a good buddy that totaled one and you could get every thing then i would say good luck i live near Chattanooga tn and bout a month ago there was a pretty nice 00 s4 for 4500 or some real close to that amount it did need a clutch but still if any one does do a 1.8 swap from a 2.8 12v let me know how hard it was and what it took to do it cause i would still like to know if it could be done but for now i just try to make mine look a sound good even know its not real fast i still love driving it good luck

Last edited by 1uberaudi; 02-23-2010 at 06:41 PM.
Old 02-24-2010, 03:03 PM
Former Sponsor

to take a 96 2.8 and go turbo you are looking a spending some money, the early 2.8 management is Bosch me 3, this is a very primitive management, no wide-band 02, no map, just maf with integrated iat. this alone will force you to standalone. then you still need to parts for your turbo system. honestly i would do a motor swap with what your looking to spend to build that car reliably, pick up a vr6 and go to town. turbo that as parts are easier to source. to mate the vr to the quattro it would take some fishing around but nothing too intense.

Old 02-24-2010, 04:35 PM
Tech Slut

Originally Posted by 1uberaudi
whats up i have been checking stuff out bout doin a 1.8 swap in my 96 12v from what i gather the splines on the trans shaft are the same but i don't know about the bolt pattern on the bell housing i have looked at the 1.8 trans in a pic and the 2.8 in the pic they look the same but they could be diff you would have to use the 1.8 flywheel and clutch
I have a 2.8 5spd in my 1.8... direct bolt up. You just use different bolt holes on the tranny's case...

Quick Reply: 1996 A4 2.8q Small Twins or Big Single?