Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. Almost anything goes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buying a used car out of state?

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2009, 01:23 PM
1st Gear
Default Buying a used car out of state?

Does anyone know the procedures for buying a car out of state? I live in MD and am planning on purchasing an A6 in VA or PA. Both dealers said that they take care of the taxes, tages...etc. but I still need a MD inspection. So my questions are how does the MD DMV get paid its sales taxes, title, and registration fee.

Also, assuming I have insurance, is the dealer going to issue temp tags which I would then use to have it driven off the lot and to get a MD inspection?

Thanks.

Old 07-30-2009, 01:45 PM

I live in MD too, and bought my car in VA.

I bought from a private dealer so it may be a little different. I didnt pay the person any sales tax and had to pay the MD DMV sales tax when I registered the car in MD. I got the car inspected before it was registered (I think that is required) and used my old tags. Otherwise you need temp tags.

If you plan on buying from a specific dealer you should ask them what they can do for you, Im sure theyve dealt with this stuff before. You can also call the DMV or goto their website for some more details.

Old 07-31-2009, 12:22 AM
4th Gear

They will give you a paper showing you paid taxes to another state... Some states, however, require that you pay any difference once you register. Dont know if MD is one of those.

Old 07-31-2009, 09:10 AM
SoCal Crew Member

just a funny side note

My cousin bought a Mini in NY and we drove it back to CA. after a couple months he crashed the thing into a tree(very tragic story, he was ok though)

Insurance for his car in CA actually ended up making him 2 grand on top of what he paid for the car and the total cost for us to drive it back to CA.

Maybe something to consider for anyone looking to get into insurance fraud and start making some extra money

Old 08-01-2009, 09:43 AM
1st Gear

Thanks for the info. The last dealer I spoke with said that if a car is financed they include the taxes, tag, title fee in the cost of the car and then issue a check made out to that states DMV.

If you pay cash then they do not do this.