Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. Almost anything goes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cigar lover's thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2008, 08:49 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by airguard350
The smoker's threads that came up inspired me to make this thread. If your a cigar lover, tell everyone your favorite brand(s), size(s), etc. etc. I'll go first.

My favorite brands have to be the larger C.A.O.'s and Cohiba's. In my opinion, the darker the tobacco, the better.
If you like dark cigars, have you tried Onyx? You will love those. For my cigar tastes, I love the cuban Romeo y Julieta #22 - mild and smooth. Otherwise, Don Tomas - they have a little spice to the taste. I only indulge maybe once a year but I like 'em here and there.

Old 10-30-2008, 08:50 PM
5th Gear

It's also awesome that your MF comment went through uncensored. Any censorship would have detracted from the hilarity. Hahaha

Yeah, couldn't believe how expensive cigars were in Cuba. I figured they'd be cheap there... but they are on to us (tourists). The big cohiba's were like 17-20 each... Course, you had guys in alleys offering them for a buck, but God knows what they are.

Old 10-30-2008, 08:53 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Palindari™
Hey, Bogie!

Thanks - just ordered it - now I gotta go find me some stogies to stuff in it in about 5 days

Any suggestions on some real mild, lightly sweet cigars?
If you want a small, mild, sweet cigar, try an Al Capone cigarillo - they're about the size of a cigarette and the tips are dipped. Get the black box though and make sure which ones you have - those are cognac-dipped. There's a brown box as well (I forget what the dipping is, but it tastes awful), and there may be a second black box dipped in something different. But get the cognac-dipped ones and you'll like 'em for sure. Box of 10 is around $6-8.

Old 10-30-2008, 08:54 PM
2nd Gear

Hey, Bogie!

Thanks - just ordered it - now I gotta go find me some stogies to stuff in it in about 5 days

Hey, Bogie!

Punch makes some decent lighter sticks. Can't go wrong with an Ashton (if you're feeling frisky get a few V.S.G's, they are a heavy smoke tho)

Cohiba makes a bunch of short little flavored sticks that go over big at my buddy;s joint (own's a cigar bar, you can still smoke inside )

The box pressed smokes are a heavy more robust flavor so if you are just getting into cigars then I would stay away from those. There are ALOT of good little known brands that have a good smoke for not much money (just like wines). If you have a local smoke shop go it and try a few. Experimentation is the key here man, you have to find what you like.

If you are going to get into Cigars then, I highly suggest you pick up a good Port or Single Malt scotch. I used to sell wine and liquor and got into the whole cigar thing ....pairing is the key. One complements the other .... bseidses it makes ya look like a bad *** for knowing your ****. When it come too food and wine and cigars (and reefer of course) I tend to get pretty pretentious. Sry

Old 10-30-2008, 08:54 PM
Tech Guru

Well I bet the hurricane hasn't done anything to make them cheaper still. And Upstate, 2 good ones are CAO Brazilia and CAO MX2 if your into the darker tobacco like I am.

Old 10-30-2008, 08:55 PM
5th Gear

I've had a few Don Tomas cigars, not bad, I'd smoke them again. I'll keep an eye out for the Onyx cigars.

BTW, are we in agreement that Acid cigars are actually turds wrapped up in dead tree leaves? I get sick feeling just from thinking about them.

Old 10-30-2008, 08:55 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by headshok2002
It's also awesome that your MF comment went through uncensored. Any censorship would have detracted from the hilarity. Hahaha

Yeah, couldn't believe how expensive cigars were in Cuba. I figured they'd be cheap there... but they are on to us (tourists). The big cohiba's were like 17-20 each... Course, you had guys in alleys offering them for a buck, but God knows what they are.
Hell, a lot of the Dominican cigars are cuban-made and banded differently to avoid the embargo. A good Dominican is almost indistinuishable from a Cuban. I can't honestly tell much difference at all.

Old 10-30-2008, 08:57 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by airguard350
Well I bet the hurricane hasn't done anything to make them cheaper still. And Upstate, 2 good ones are CAO Brazilia and CAO MX2 if your into the darker tobacco like I am.
Haven't had a cigar since last Xmas (my birthday lol), but this Xmas if I get one I'll take a look for those. Couple friends of mine like an occasional cigar as well and we look out for each other so I'll pass those names on - thanks man

I have to agree with AchTTung too - those are mummified turds. And Bad Justin is dead-on with the single-malt comment - either is good by itself, but pair them up and they exceed the sum of the parts by far.

Old 10-30-2008, 09:01 PM
Tech Guru

CAO Italias are good but I can't find a Fuente Fuente OpusX or Padron Serie 1926 No. 9 to save my soul. Maybe I'm just looking in the wrong places.

Old 10-30-2008, 09:01 PM
5th Gear

Originally Posted by Bad Justin

Cohiba makes a bunch of short little flavored sticks that go over big at my buddy;s joint (own's a cigar bar, you can still smoke inside )
That place down the road a bit from the New Hartford shopping center, or is there another one. Come to think of it, is that place open still? Been a long time since I've been thru there.

BTW, ever been to the Pipe Shop like a block behind Price Chopper on Genesee st in Utica? Walk-in humidor FTW! (well, if your buddy has a cigar bar, he's probably gone one of those too....)

Quick Reply: Cigar lover's thread