Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. Almost anything goes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I almost DIED

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2014, 10:00 PM
4th Gear
Default I almost DIED

Ok, not really, but I thought I was going to die on the inside...

I changed my valve cover gaskets on the //S4 and went for a drive. Everything was going good until about 30 minutes into the drive, the car just loses all power and is idling really rough. So I pull over and scan the code: P0638 (if memory serves me), something about the throttle body. So I start googling on my phone to see if there is a way to do an adaptation on the fly without VCDS. Nothing works.

Since I'm less than a mile from home, I figure I'll just limp home, which I did. I then googled some more about the TBA without VCDS (I know, I know). Still, nothing is working. I'm stumped. So after about an hour of trying to figure out what I'm going to do, I decide I'm just going to tear back into the intake and take a look at the TB. Low and behold, there's a small plastic piece about 1x2 inches wedged in the TB. It's a plastic cover that covers a circuit board in the MAF.

WTF!

Anyway, I put everything back together, and she's running strong as ever again. SO disaster averted, and I didn't die. But I may need a new MAF in the near future.

Old 02-24-2014, 09:44 AM
Senior Administrator

Remind me to tell you the story of the bad tank of gas I got, back when I was stationed in Germany, and how I almost set my entire car on fire because *stoopit*.

Old 02-25-2014, 06:34 AM
4th Gear

Originally Posted by AWDaholic
Remind me to tell you the story of the bad tank of gas I got, back when I was stationed in Germany, and how I almost set my entire car on fire because *stoopit*.
Don't forget to tell me the story of a bad tank of gas you got, back when you were in Germany, and how you almost set your entire car on fire because of *stoopit*.

Old 03-04-2014, 08:24 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by bradtyler02
Originally Posted by AWDaholic
Don't forget to tell me the story of a bad tank of gas you got, back when you were in Germany, and how you almost set your entire car on fire because of *stoopit*.
Don't forget to tell Brad the story of a bad tank of gas you got, back when you were in Germany, and how you almost set your entire car on fire because of *stoopit*.