Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. Almost anything goes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Kindle Fire

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2011, 09:44 AM
Administrator
Default Kindle Fire

Any of you guys have this? I picked one up for the wife since she usually buys books through iTunes and reads them on her phone. I got her one to make that easier and more convenient. Anyone have any feedback based on experience?

I know it's not a match for an iPad but that's fine, it's not being bought with the intent to duplicate that unit's abilities - we have a desktop, a laptop, and both have the iPhone 4. Our wireless G-router sucks but i bought an N-router to take care of the shitty wi-fi at home and will be sneaking that into place this week, ahead of the holidays, so the Fire can be used immediately. An iPad would honestly be kind of pointless, given the other devices we have, especially at over three times the price. The purpose and use for the Fire will be e-reading, music, and some websurfing. With that in mind, anyone use one and have any feedback?

Old 12-18-2011, 11:09 AM
Administrator

I'd like to know about this as well. They claimed that it's supposed to be the iPad rival.

Old 12-18-2011, 11:21 AM
Administrator

It's not - the iPad is far superior to the Kindle for overall use and features. The Kindle is intended for the things I listed above - it's not a full-on tablet computer like the iPad. But at 40% of the price it's unreasonable to expect it to be a face-to-face competitor.

Old 12-18-2011, 11:24 AM
Tech Guru

my wife uses the kindle app on her ipad to read.... she likes the app

if that is helpful

you might want to d/l some books for her before she opens it jeremy

maybe kama-sutra.... and other how to books

Old 12-18-2011, 11:30 AM
Administrator

Good to know. I was thinking maybe Penthouse Forum too. Plant some ideas lol

Old 12-18-2011, 05:07 PM
AudiForums WilkommenVagen Direktor

I've heard that the fire is excellent. not in the same "class" as the iPad but is pretty awesome as an e-reader with some good connectivity/entertainment options. I think she will be very happy with it.

-not a Kindle Fire owner

Old 12-18-2011, 09:04 PM
Administrator

Why don't you get her an android tablet instead, Jeremy?

My friend recently found a great deal on Viewsonic tablet for $250.

Old 12-18-2011, 09:18 PM
Administrator

Good info so far guys, thank you. Randy, what's the 411 on the one you mentioned? Anything it does significantly better, or more, than the Fire?

Old 12-18-2011, 10:01 PM
Administrator

Well basically it's an android based instead of the iOS found on iPad.

I personally love android since its the current software of phone I'm running. There's so much you can do to android based to make it better and that much faster. Rooting, flashing, and what not. Endless choices of things to do.

Like I said, I'm not that familiar with the Fire. The android tablet my friend bought is pretty much an iPad. It has front facing and rear cameras. I'd say for the similar amount of money, it'd be a better buy since the kindle application is also available on the android market. And yes, the whole android market will be available to buy applications from. I'm not sure if the Fire will have any integrated market from either apple or android if it doesn't, I wouldn't be surprised if there aren't a lot of applications available for it.

Old 12-18-2011, 10:16 PM
Administrator

Sounds cool - I'll definitely take a look at it. The Fire has its own app store too, somewhere around 150k apps set up for it. Not sure who makes the OS for it but since it's run/marketed by Amazon, and they don't create that stuff, I'm sure it's a pretty well-known OS. I'll have to take a closer look when the wife isn't around.

Quick Reply: Kindle Fire