Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. Almost anything goes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NEW MILITARY TRUCKS help our boys

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2007, 03:35 PM
1st Gear
Default NEW MILITARY TRUCKS help our boys

So ABC world news did a small special on a company called Force Protection. Here is the link to the video.. its worth the 2 mins of your time to watch, first they will show you a quick 15second ad. but then it will come on.

http://abcnews.go.com/Video/playerIndex?id=2951205

I personally think these trucks should replace the hummer for the most part in Iraq and keep our troops safe and bring them home. Obviously this company doesn't get the funding that it should like General Dynamics or Lockheed Martin has. I plan on writing an Email to congress letting them know I saw the ABC special and love the Idea of these trucks. Hopefully if enough people contact congress this company will get the funding they deserve and more of these trucks will get to our boys faster! Just figured I would share if anyone would like to send an email also, here is a link you can try using. Thanks

http://www.visi.com/juan/congress/[/align]

Old 03-15-2007, 06:02 PM
2nd Gear
Default RE: NEW MILITARY TRUCKS help our boys

I would like to see it. One of my best friends that I was stationed with in Germany was killed 10 days ago, along with 5 others in his vehicle by an IED.

RIP "Dutch"

Old 03-15-2007, 07:52 PM
4th Gear

thats great, WHy are you going to write congress a letter, As the story already says, they already have them beeing sent over.

Old 03-15-2007, 09:43 PM
2nd Gear

They have some over there, but no as many as they should. Due to cost and the main mission of the buffalo at least (find and detonate IED's), they are pretty stingy about buying them.

Old 03-16-2007, 01:25 AM
4th Gear

I've seen a couple of the prototypes, its a vast improvement over the humvees. They would definitely save lives. But I wouldn't go as far as saying they are IED proof. When the insurgents started using IEDs the military only had minimal 1/8in thick steel plates on the underbody, sometimes none. That didn't work so we started using upto 1-1/2in plates. The insurgents only got smarter and started using even more explosives. Even tanks became vulnerable. The points is yes these vehicles would work well but they are certainly not IED proof. As usual the equipment that really work is the last to get downrange. Blame that on the bureauCRAPic BS and the cheap lowest bidder mindset of those in charge.

Ha, and you thought the humvee was a gas guzzler.

Old 03-16-2007, 05:21 AM
2nd Gear

The point of the hummer was never to be a heavily armored vehicle. Hummers need to be light to move quickly and havegood handling. If you're a sitting duck all they need to do is hit you hard enough to get the job done.

To me this looks more like a cheap APC than a replacement to the Hummer.

Old 03-16-2007, 10:59 AM
2nd Gear

ORIGINAL: bluovalguy

They have some over there, but no as many as they should. Due to cost and the main mission of the buffalo at least (find and detonate IED's), they are pretty stingy about buying them.
yeah, i don't get what's up with the army. there's always that "big picture" that is not seen when it comes to comptrollers and how they budget FY spending, but it seems everytime i seethe cougars passing through on the way down range, they're usmc or usn. i cant remember seening any belonging to army. if so, it hasn't been more than a handful. makes me wonder if they feel that all the money they spent to upgrade the humvees is "good enough".