Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. Almost anything goes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question for all of you BMW-philes

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2006, 03:01 AM
Senior Administrator
Default Question for all of you BMW-philes

Doya think it's worth the trouble/expense to fixit up?

http://www.erepairables.com/my_pages...bmw_323is.html

Advanced class:
if so, canya give me some idea, just from what you can see in the pics, what you think'll need doing (aside from the rear glass, that is)?

Old 09-30-2006, 03:08 AM
3rd Gear
Default RE: Question for all of you BMW-philes

Looks like it could be a fun project. I say go for it. It's all set up for a good body kit and some minor repairs and your good.

Old 09-30-2006, 05:13 AM
2nd Gear

It all looks cosmetic, no wrinkles or buckles in the quarter. Just some minor slide-hammer work and some Bondo or lead if you're feeling nostalgic and a rear bumper. The exhaust hangers have probably had it which may have kinked the pipe right in front of the silencer. Between the glass, the quarter, the bumper and maybe a tail section of the exhaust, you're probably looking at about $1,689.37 at retail prices, give or take. If you have a buddy in the biz you might be able to get in lower, but I wouldn't expect less than $1k even with a hook-up, to get it done really right.

In good condition according to KBB.com, the value is right around $7k, and that's not taking into account the salvage title. So unless you can get it for at least a big bill less than they're asking, I wouldn't call it a great deal, any more and you'd be into it for more than you could dump it for and that's never a good place to be in. If it was an M or at least the 328, it might be worth it, but as is, it's a little over the edge of what I would consider doing.

You could cheap it up, leave the taillight and quarter alone, scour for a cheap rear bumper, have it and the front bumper Maacoed, have any random exhaust shop weld in a 6-inch section if there is a kink, and glue in a cheap lexan rear window (readily available due to the simple shape and the grass-roots race history of the E36), and you might be able to get out for under $6-700 in repairs, but it wouldn't really be in tip-top shape and the sale value would probably be even less, maybe low 6 thousandish taking into account the salvage title and the less than perfect end condition.

Old 09-30-2006, 06:56 AM
2nd Gear

You shouldn't be alloud to own a BMW if your solution to a broken exhaust pipe is a string...

Old 09-30-2006, 07:39 AM
2nd Gear

^^^ It's at a salvage place, I've sure that for whatever reason, they wanted to be able to move the car without causing any further damage to the exhaust or having to tow it around, so they tied it up as a temporary solution. It's not like they're driving the thing to work every day like that, it's sitting at a tow yard.

Old 09-30-2006, 11:35 AM
Senior Administrator

Thanks SS, next time I'll just PM you, instedda othering everybdy

Most of the salvage yards I've seen generally try to get as much out of a car as they can, natrually, so the prices tend to be on the razors edge of KBB, minus the cost of repairs... Which micht end up being slightly higher (not much, just slightly) here in the Metro DC area[&o]

If I decide to get it it'll be my dailydriver/long-term projekt car. I gotta get my D2 back to the hot tart She needs to be. She was never purchased to be a DD, but I wreked my Camry, so... Basically, I wudn't be looking to pull any value back outta the car, prolly give it to one of my Nephews, in a few years, when I'm dne wit it.

I'll let y'all kno if I go for it.

Old 09-30-2006, 01:03 PM
2nd Gear

Given what SS said about it, if you are cool with a salvage title, then get it. I love the e36's. I just cant find one cheap enough yet with everything else. I would ask how long it sat with the back window butsted out before they taped it up. May be some water damage inside.

Old 09-30-2006, 02:14 PM
Senior Administrator

That's a joint in N.H, if memory serves. Which is, like, a 6-7hour drive, which I'd do before I dropped $7K on it, trust me. Going to try to make it a double and stop by another yard in N.Y. that has a $4k '93 300TE (albeit high mileage, but MB's age well, if well taken care of) I'm thinking about getting for either my Mother, or maybe my baby Sister, both of whom NEED some wheels, soon... Now all I gota do is find another set of wheels for whichever one doesn't want the MB... Family first, then there's this '93 911 Cab I saw for $15k... Man, C/S ending opens up a WHOLE WORLD of possibiliities for ME!!![sm=happy046.gif][sm=happybounce.gif][sm=happy046.gif]

Old 09-30-2006, 02:23 PM
Senior Administrator

OK, not in the same class, but I think I've found a BETTER deal... Whatchu think, yo?

http://www.amobinc.com/cars_info.asp?CarID=1047