RS Model Line Audi RS4 and Audi RS6..Pure race-car performance technology applied to the comfortable ride for which Audi is known

I've never owned a performance car and I'm thinking of pulling the trigger on an RS5.

Old 04-30-2014, 04:50 PM
1st Gear
Default I've never owned a performance car and I'm thinking of pulling the trigger on an RS5.

I think I know which response I'll get on this site... but I'm in the market for a new car and I'd like to drive more of a performance car. My last car was a 2009 335i sedan which I enjoyed but was happy to give back after the lease was over. It was a sedan and I regretted not getting the coupe everyday. This next car will be a coupe. For the past two years I haven't had a car (moved to the big city, took public transit) and now I want something fun to get me around as a daily driver. I plan on owning this car for the next 5+ yrs.

What I like about the RS5 coupe:

What I'm not sure about:

Let me know if I've forgotten or overlooked anything. If you like another car more, convince me to buy it instead! All comments are very appreciated!

Old 04-30-2014, 08:44 PM
                    4th Gear

First, the V8 in the RS5 is high revving, naturally aspirated, not blown. If you want a boosted V8, you need a S6/7/8 or RS7, but then you won't have the couple like you wanted. I think the S6 is in about the same price range as the RS5 as well.

Second, as much as I hate to say it, you might want to consider an S5 instead of the RS5. It will save you some cash up front, but more importantly, it would probably be easier to learn how to drive in the snow with under 350 HP instead of over 400 ponies. Then, once you get the hang of it after a winter or two, you can upgrade the supercharged V6 to the same power levels as the RS5. Just a thought.

Lastly, people with nice cars with nice wheels will usually get an extra pair of wheel with winter tires. Not that the winter tires are necessary, but because snow, grime, salt, and dirt can reek havoc on your nice wheels. So, if you're going to have a second set of wheels for the winter, might as well put decent winter tires on them.

Good luck! Make sure you post up some pics once you've decided...

Old 04-30-2014, 09:24 PM
                    1st Gear

Originally Posted by bradtyler02
                    First, the V8 in the RS5 is high revving, naturally aspirated, not blown. If you want a boosted V8, you need a S6/7/8 or RS7, but then you won't have the couple like you wanted. I think the S6 is in about the same price range as the RS5 as well.

Second, as much as I hate to say it, you might want to consider an S5 instead of the RS5. It will save you some cash up front, but more importantly, it would probably be easier to learn how to drive in the snow with under 350 HP instead of over 400 ponies. Then, once you get the hang of it after a winter or two, you can upgrade the supercharged V6 to the same power levels as the RS5. Just a thought.

Lastly, people with nice cars with nice wheels will usually get an extra pair of wheel with winter tires. Not that the winter tires are necessary, but because snow, grime, salt, and dirt can reek havoc on your nice wheels. So, if you're going to have a second set of wheels for the winter, might as well put decent winter tires on them.

Good luck! Make sure you post up some pics once you've decided...
                    Sorry, I meant to say naturally aspirated -- my mistake. I think I'll definitely get a second set of tires no matter which I get. When it comes to the S5 vs RS5 I think because i want to own the car for quite some time it would be worth it to spend the extra cash to get the RS5. For the first winter I would take it slow but I would regret having an S5 over an RS5 after having learned. Aesthetics have a lot to do with it. and let you said, i want a coupe so no S6/7/8 or RS7

Thanks for your helpful reply and I'll definitely post pics if I end up getting it!

Old 05-02-2014, 06:45 AM
                    4th Gear

The noise it makes from the N/A V8
                    This is the exact reason they used the high revving N/A 4.2 V8 instead of the twin turbo 4.0.