S Car Model Line Audi S4, Audi S6, and Audi S8..Audi's track-ready touch on each of the popular sedans

2004 b6 power steering "power take off"

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2012, 03:11 PM
1st Gear
Default 2004 b6 power steering "power take off"

Ok I really hope I can find some help with this. I own a 2004 B6 S4 and I lost my power steering. I took it to the dealer and they said the power take off was bad. they said my power steering pump was good but the gear on the take off seized and since it is not working I lost power assist. they also said my pump is good though. here is the kicker they said the job is a 36 hour job with a ticket of 5k. LMAO not in this lifetime. hell the parts are under a "G" and the grunt of the job is labor because they have to drop the engine to do the job. Thank god I am in school for automotive. I will do this when i can drop the engine with TIME!!!!! since finding this out I have searched the entire INTERNET WORLD WIDE WEB and found absolutely nothing on this power take off. I also searched ALL DATA AND MITCHELLS automotive database with no success. So if there are any techs on this forum. Can you please direct me in the right direction to handle this. I was in the car sales biz for some years and I sold Audi and VW's. I bought her with high mileage and I knew going in that the maintenance would be expensive and I'm ok with that because when she runs good she is a MONSTER so I just want to get back to loving my baby and enjoying that german engineering. My latest task is replacing the propeller shaft (drive shaft) and that will get done this wednesday. So if any help is out there it will be GREATLY APPRECIATED

Old 07-21-2012, 12:38 PM
SoCal Crew Member

oh boy...... you picked about the worst car you can possibly work on yourself with no special tools.....

first off though the dealer is full of ****, power take off i've never heard before and 36 hours for taking the entire engine out and cleaning it with a toothbrush would still be called bullshit...

i had a 2004 s4 before and the power steering went out on me as well.... it's most likely the power steering pressure line. you may be able to pull the vehicle front clip off and access everything you need from there... other wise puilling the engine is a huge job on this car....

are you in socal by any chance?