S Car Model Line Audi S4, Audi S6, and Audi S8..Audi's track-ready touch on each of the popular sedans

3rd gear shifting problems

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2006, 04:38 AM
1st Gear
Default 3rd gear shifting problems

ok, i have a 01 audi s4 w/6speed. first of all i bought this car last may and it has been in the shop for over 3/4 of this last year with problems."seriously". Now it is back in the shop again, this time with transmission problems and a bad cat. good thing i bought a aftermarket warranty... it has helped me out a bunch.

now to the problem.
from september to febuary my car was in the shop with a transmission problem, it just did not work in 1st or 2nd or 3rd, it ended up smoking the clutch and messing up the flywheel. the warranty send the dealership a used transmission which the audi dealership took apart and cleaned it all up"new seals fluid etc". also i added a lw flywhel and rs4 clutch. this was replaced at 94k on the car. i drove the car home to pa from oklahoma and back to oklahoma, now it has 97k on it. I was so excited it was time for my first run on the 1/4 mile with this car. i lined up..... light turned green..... took off.... 1st gear....awesome power delivery....2nd gear......ohh yeah....went to grab third and my shifter felt like it hit a bump like it was in gear but then the whole shifter went forward like one inch.... i tried to put it back into gear but all it did was accelerate like it was in neutral. pulled the shifter into fourth and the fourth was in the spot that normally neurtal was... i had to pull down on the shifter and i could feel the whole linkage move back into place. i have no problem putting it into gear when i normally drive but when i try to shift fast itll always do it now. note" this was my first time getting onto the car since the transmission replacement. i had no problems like this prior.

please help. i asked the dealership and they told me not to shift it like that, that it is pinching the bushings because of to much pressure.

can i fix this or am i screwed.

ohh btw, the first run was a 16.2... shitty at 86mph
i granny shifted the second pass and got a 14.3 ntb for granny shifting
the third pass the shifting messed up again and i got anouther 16.2 or somthing.

am i doing somthing wrong or expecting to much from the car. i know these cars run stock in the 14ns thanks in advanced

Old 05-26-2006, 05:19 AM
Site Moderator
Default RE: 3rd gear shifting problems

my guess would be synchro... take it back to the dealership where they did the transmission and let them know whats going on and it aint right yet... they should fix it under their cost or aftermarket warranty. its not an expensive part but you need to rip apart the tranny to get at it.

Old 05-27-2006, 12:55 PM
2nd Gear
Default RE: 3rd gear shifting problems

i had the same problem with my s4. for some reason, those b5 models have problems with their trannys. it's been annoying the hell out of me too. i found out that it was my synchro that was all messed up. but it gave me an opportunity to send the tranny to stasis and get all the gears powder coated and cryo-something. and they replace the center diff. but the biggest opportunity that pulling the tranny has given me, is the chance to upgrade the turbos...... i wasn't expecting to upgrade my car to a stage three for anothe couple years, but better now then later