S Car Model Line Audi S4, Audi S6, and Audi S8..Audi's track-ready touch on each of the popular sedans

ANYBODY HELP CLUTCH IS OUT ON MY S4

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2008, 07:15 PM
1st Gear
Default ANYBODY HELP CLUTCH IS OUT ON MY S4

hi guys i new here but i know i can use your advise. i have 2002 s4 with 57k and my clutchis out .does any body have instructions how to change it . or shuld i haveshop change it .they said 700$ for labor .is it worth it or not ? what kind of clutchand flyweel would be the best .thanks!!!

Old 01-29-2008, 07:20 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: ANYBODY HELP CLUTCH IS OUT ON MY S4

$700 seems fair. I did my trans workmyself, but it all depends on experience.

Old 01-29-2008, 07:35 PM
3rd Gear

$700 is a decent price, i paid a little under that. There are guides online if you want to do it yourself.

RS4 clutch and a Lightweight flywheel are a good combination for a stage 2+ car, you can find them sold at ECS, Vast, AWE, and other online stores.

Old 01-29-2008, 10:44 PM
1st Gear

thanks fo advice . i change my suspention ,modifiy my air box (dar intake ) change my oil .lol .
do you think i can do clutch my self or not ? i just dont have 700$ to trow away .thanks

Old 01-29-2008, 10:57 PM
2nd Gear

Im actually doing my tranny and clutch this weekend ill let u know how it goes haha. should be quite interesting.

Old 01-30-2008, 07:43 PM
1st Gear

thanks

Old 01-31-2008, 10:48 AM

I did mine a few mounts ago it is not to bad if you take your time and know going in to it that it is going to be a pain in the a$$.Just make shure that you get every thing back

Old 01-31-2008, 10:56 AM

ORIGINAL: loves4

hi guys i new here but i know i can use your advise. i have 2002 s4 with 57k and my clutchis out .does any body have instructions how to change it . or should i haveshop change it .they said 700$ for labor .is it worth it or not ? what kind of clutchand flywheel would be the best .thanks!!!
the other guys will help you a lot, what makes you think the clutch is bad? is it slipping or just hard to engage gears and the clutch still pulls good?,
if the latter is true then it might not be the clutch and simply an air leak in the clutch slave cylinder/pipes ( just thinking out loud) its always worth telling why you came to to think its the clutch and not something else

Old 01-31-2008, 11:11 AM

so I think I got the instructions uploaded on this post...not sure.

Old 01-31-2008, 11:27 AM

hopefully this will help.

Repairing clutch[/align]Repairing clutch[/align]

Special tools and workshop equipment required

â—†3067 Counterhold
â—†3176 Centring mandrel
â—†V.A.G 1331 Torque wrench [/ul]
Notes:

â—†Observe the general repair instructions â—†If the clutch has burnt out, thoroughly clean the bell housing, flywheel and parts of the engine facing the gearbox in order to prevent odours.
â—†Two different dual mass flywheel versions may be installed. Distinguishing features of the weight-optimised dual mass flywheel => Fig.12[size=-1]13.
â—†In order to prevent damage to the weight-optimised dual mass flywheel during removal, the removal instructions must be followed => Fig.1617.
â—†Replace clutch plates and pressure plates with damaged or loose rivets.
â—†Pressure plates with kinked or broken spring connections must be replaced => Abb.2223
â—†Replace clutch plates and pressure plates with damaged or loose rivets.
â—†Select the correct clutch plate and pressure plate according to engine code: [/ul]
=> Parts List

â—†Clean input shaft splines and (in the case of used clutch plates) the hub splines. Remove corrosion and apply only a very thin coating of grease G 000 100 to the splines. Then move clutch plate to and for on input shaft until hub moves freely on shaft. Excess grease must be removed.
â—†Pressure plates are protected against corrosion and greased. Only the contact surface may be cleaned, otherwise the service life of the clutch will be considerably reduced.
â—†Tighten securing bolts in small stages and in diagonal sequence to avoid damaging centring holes in pressure plate and centring pins on flywheel. [/ul]

‒Remove the gearbox to work on the clutch [/ul]

Flywheel/dual mass flywheel

â—†Ensure that centring pins are a tight fit.
â—†Contact surface for clutch lining must be free of grooves, oil and grease
â—†Observe the removal instructions for the weight-optimised dual mass flywheel =>Fig.4243
â—†Removing and installing:
=> Relevant engine workshop manual, Mechanical components; Repair group 13 [/ul][/ul]

Bolt for flywheel

â—†Always replace
◆Vehicles without dual mass flywheel 60 Nm + turn 90° further
â—†With dual-mass flywheel [/ul]

‒Screw length 22.5 mm
60 Nm and turn + 90° further
‒Screw length 43 mm
60 Nm and turn + 180° further [/ul]
Detach clutch plate

â—†Installation position: [/ul]

‒Spring pack (coil springs) towards thrust and gearbox
‒Clutch lining must make full contact with flywheel
‒Marking "Getriebeseite" (if present) must face towards thrust plate and gearbox [/ul]

â—†Do not grease
â—†Clutch plate diameter â—†Centring =>Fig.70
â—†Lightly grease splines [/ul][/ul]

Thrust plate

â—†Removing and installing =>Fig.76
â—†Check ends of diaphragm spring => Fig.80
â—†Checking spring connection and riveted fastenings => Fig.8485
â—†Checking wire ring => Fig.88
89 [/ul]
Bolt - 25 Nm

â—†Loosen and tighten gradually in several stages working diagonally [/ul]
Needle bearing

â—†Check for damage and wear
â—†Removing and installing:
=> Relevant engine workshop manual, Mechanical components; Repair group 13 [/ul][/ul]

→ Fig.1Centring clutch plate and removing and installing thrust plate

‒Loosen and tighten bolts gradually in several stages working diagonally. Tightening torque: 25 Nm.
‒Reverse position of counterhold 3067 when removing.
‒Installation position of clutch plate: spring pack (coil springs) or marking "Getriebeseite" towards pressure plate and gearbox.
‒Clutch lining and contact surface of pressure plate must make full contact with flywheel before securing bolts are inserted.
‒Use mandrel 3176 to centre clutch plate. [/ul]

→ Fig.2Weight-optimised dual mass flywheel
Identification: cheese-head bolts -B- are countersunk in the flywheel -A-.
Removing
Note:
In order to prevent destroying the dual-mass flywheel during removal, the bolts -B- must not be removed using a pneumatic or impact driver. Only manual removal of the bolts -B- is permissible.

‒Turn flywheel -A- until the bolts -B- are positioned centrally with respect to the holes -arrows-.
‒When unscrewing bolts -B-, ensure that no bolt heads are in contact with the flywheel -arrows- to prevent damage as it turns. [/ul]

→ Fig.3Checking ends of the diaphragm spring

â—†Wear up to half the thickness of the diaphragm spring is permitted. [/ul]
Note:
When performing repairs always match up clutch pressure plate and clutch plate by checking engine code (see Parts List).

→ Fig.4Checking spring connections and riveted fastenings

‒Check the spring connections -arrows A- for damage and the riveted fastenings -arrows B- for firm seating. [/ul]
Note:
Pressure plates with severely kinked or broken spring connections or loose riveted fastenings must be replaced.

→ Fig.5Checking wire ring

‒Check the wire ring in the pressure plate -arrow- for damage Replace pressure plates with broken wire rings. [/ul]

[IMG]local://upfiles/12092/1E849A46BE83469AADE6644FC473F366.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/12092/250E832D6B2647DCBB62EF276EC8068F.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/12092/65787D9B0D434FEE8436DCE1AE088528.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/12092/9A491ADB5EEE4C77879AC54CEF87AAEC.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/12092/4399B58F50CA461A84A167C9A8FD3E08.jpg[/IMG]

Quick Reply: ANYBODY HELP CLUTCH IS OUT ON MY S4