S Car Model Line Audi S4, Audi S6, and Audi S8..Audi's track-ready touch on each of the popular sedans

buying 2002 S4 - problem areas?

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2005, 12:25 AM
Default buying 2002 S4 - problem areas?

Hi there,

I've found a beautiful 2002 S4 (perfect interior/exterior - fleet car) with super high miles, 103K. Carfax is clean. Anything in particular I should look for in terms of problems? The dealership recommended a commpression test but I wasn't sure if that would really be neccessary. I've had Hondas/Subarus since I could drive, so this is my first foray into German territory. I'm going to take it to an independent Audi mechanic before buying but thought I should check with the experts

It's an auto, btw.

Thanks,
Future Audi Girl

Old 12-20-2005, 12:40 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: buying 2002 S4 - problem areas?

there is a chance that your turbos are nearing the end of their dependable life. Typically you can expect around 100k on the turbos before they need replacement IF they have been cared for properly, warmed up before driven hard, and cooled down after hard runs. It is important to consider this beause turbo replacement may cost up to $8000 with labor. A compression test is probably not necessary, but never hurts. Have a mechanic check all the main engine gaskets and seals, these can be very expensive to replace. Also, review the maintenance records and check if the timing belt/water pump service has been performed. If it hasnt, it is long overdue and you want them to have that done before you even consider buying it. This service will cost around $1000 as well. I dont know what they are asking for this car, but it sounds to me like at some point in the next 30k miles you are inevitably going to have to pour quite a bit of money into it, for turbos if nothing else. If you are getting it for a steal, great. But be prepared to dump close to $10000 at any time. I would also recommend trying to find an aftermarket warranty for it through a company like united car care or Colorado first. This may cost 2500 but will more than pay for itself over time on an audi. Finally, look at the maintenance records to make sure the car was serviced at every 10k interval. if it wasnt, i would be very cautious. The drivetrain could be in trouble and you have no hope of getting an extended warranty for the car.

hope this helps,

hunter