S Car Model Line Audi S4, Audi S6, and Audi S8..Audi's track-ready touch on each of the popular sedans

Can't Figure Out How to Get Radiator off?????

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2008, 01:21 AM
4th Gear
Default Can't Figure Out How to Get Radiator off?????

OK, I am in the middle of pulling the engine now and I am trying to get the radiator support/front end off. However there are 2 hoses on each side that are hooked into the radiator that do not have anywhere to disconnect them. What are they and how do you get them off? here are some pictures:

Let me know what it is! I am so confused!

josh

Old 04-27-2008, 01:08 PM
Default RE: Can't Figure Out How to Get Radiator off?????

That one by the oil filter is just a quick connect. The other however I don't even know or never even took off to get it out.

Old 04-27-2008, 01:29 PM
2nd Gear
Default RE: Can't Figure Out How to Get Radiator off?????

here is how i pulled a friends of mine, well the write up of it from what i remember it jsut comes out.

<on the ground (or ramps)>
-Remove ground from battery
-Pull belly-pan
-Take out airbox and Y
-Remove fuel/evap lines
-Remove small vacuum-canister line going to the drivers side fender. On M box cars there's a squeeze-release fitting adjacent to the ABS pump.
-Detach electrical connectors adjacent to ABS pump, leading to radiator support.
-Pull headlights, bumper, remove front pusher fan and condenser
-Pull IC shrouds
-Swing AC condenser to the side
-Remove rad support (Don't forget the temp sensor connector on the lower hose and the hood-latch cable!)
-Pull expansion tank
-Pull Bipipe
-Pull intercoolers
-Remove bolt from coolant hardline on block going to expansion tank and detach lower coolant hoses off the oil cooler(Helps with next step)
-Pull AC compressor and swing to the side (2 bolts front, one back, 13mm and a bracket under the engine)
-Detach grounds, little brown ones on top drivers-side and big one on bottom passengers side
-Detach all wire connectors from firewall
-Remove ECU and unplug the harness from deep inside the ECU box car (little multi-colored connectors), flop it on top of the engine
-take positive lead from battery, detach chassis lead and pull the terminal through firewall (the grommet comes out too) and place on top of engine
-Loosen wire looms attached to frame-rail
-Remove PS hoses, one hardline in the rear running parallel to the firewall and another to the engine from the reservoir
-Detach shifter (Just the two bolts holding the rods onto the shifter)
-Detach heater core hoses in between firewalls covered by an accordion shaped sheath.
-Remove IC hoses
-Loosen driveshaft bolts from center of the wheel hub while car is on the ground

<jack car up>

-unbolt exhaust from DP's
-Remove rear driveshaft cover
-Unbolt front CV's and rear driveshaft (may have to jack up one rear tire to rotate the DS to get all the bolts if you don't have an adequate extension)
-Unbolt motor and trans mounts
-Unbolt Tie bar(s)

<Lift engine up and out a few inches>

-Remove clutch slave cylinder
-Fish heater core hoses out
-Pull CV axles out under the trans, straight out... the left axle goes towards the right wheel and vice-versa. (You also may have to lift the engine up and forward some more, which it should do readily... since you detached the above.) Also, here is where you regret not unbolting those axle bolts as you should have while the car was on the ground.
-Pull trans mounts

<Yoink!>