Audi A8 This full sized Audi A8 sedan offers interior luxury and spaciousness comparable to any car in the full sized luxury sedan class

2005 A8 Squeaky and creaky noise after sitting in cold

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2011, 03:31 PM
1st Gear
Default 2005 A8 Squeaky and creaky noise after sitting in cold

I have noticed over the past three weeks when I leave my vehicle (2005 A8L with 91K miles) outside in frigid temperatures, both LEFT and RIGHT front makes noises (creaking / squeaks) till the car has been driven any where from 30-60 minutes then the noise goes away.

It's very pronounced especially after sitting outside in cold temperature overnight. The squeaky noises are ONLY heard when I hit bumps or go over large ramps. Otherwise the car drives perfectly.

No noises when steering wheel is turned left or right.

No damage to CV boot - checked.

No accidents!

Just annoying squeaks!!!

A friend of mine who is a mechanic suggested the Control arm bushings my need replacing. Any other thougts on this --> Auditech79, SilverD2 and all the experts out there.

If it turns out the control arm bushings is the culprit; does anyone have a better resource (diagrams, charts or detailed instructions on how to do a DIY for such a project). Thank you all!

Old 01-23-2011, 04:22 PM
1st Gear
Default Had the same problem

I had the same thing when i first bought my A8. Although it wasn't cold out I heard the same squeaks and it ended up being the front upper rear control arm bushings. It was highly recommended that i replace the entire arm. When buying the parts just remember you get what you pay for. As far as replacing em your biggest enemy is going to be the pinch bolt. If you do not have a Bentley manual or ELSA this repair will allow it to pay for it's self and everything thing else after that will be like money in your pocket. "I have ELSA and I am not a big fan of it"

Old 01-23-2011, 06:49 PM
2nd Gear

There's a lot of points in a fr suspension that could produce squeaks. Calling it "pronounced" probably eliminates something like rubber bushing mounts for the sway bar (a little silicone spray would kill that). You'll need your mechanic friend to join you one cold day, when the sqeaking is there to pinpoint the source...could be any ball joint or bushing on any control arm, tie rod ends ...even maybe sway pivots at suspension arm mounting...and couple other points. So, needs a qualified inspection, or catching it making the noise with a hand on the part...bouncing the corner of the car or rocking steering back/forth while another looks for the squeak. Without being there, not much more I could say.
On DIY: Need a little mechanical know how, a couple of special tools (see manual) and, in my opinion, more than just online tutuorials. I depend on experience and NEVER do anything without a good manual...necessary tool, if you're gonna do any of your own work...even if not, you'll know more and when to believe a mechanic:

http://www.bentleypublishers.com/aud...009-ebahn.html