S Car Model Line Audi S4, Audi S6, and Audi S8..Audi's track-ready touch on each of the popular sedans

Clicking noise...sometimes...front right side

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2008, 08:22 AM
1st Gear
Default Clicking noise...sometimes...front right side

So i was driving the wifey to work yesterday when i noticed a pretty loud clicking type noise coming from the front right wheel? I pulled over had a look, could not see anything wrong...reversed for about 20 feet than foward again. It went away. Did the same thing when i picked her up. drove, started clicking than i reversed than no more noise. Im guessing a wheel bearing? I just had my front cv axles replaced about 1500 miles ago so they should be good. noise fades when car slows down. It sounds like a bad bearing...any ideas?
thanks

Old 11-12-2008, 06:56 PM
1st Gear

In my experience with bad wheel bearings, you should get a growl or hum while driving down the road. By turning the wheel, like a lane change, it should decrease or increase the noise. Helping you point out what side has failed. Double check the axle boots are not torn. You may pull the wheel also and assure the axle nut is tight.

Mike

Old 11-12-2008, 07:06 PM
1st Gear

bad CV. check the boot for crack- telltale sign of dry joint. Did you have reman. put in?

Old 11-12-2008, 08:39 PM
1st Gear

If for example its a clicking noise while going around a turn then for sure a torn cv boot. If anything jack the car up and see if there is any play if you try to physically move the wheel. If there is no play then you need to check the cv boot.

Old 11-13-2008, 11:41 AM
1st Gear

I do not know if they where remans or not. Hopefully not. I will have time tomorrow to put it on the lift and see whats going on. It's not a hummm for sure, but a loud clicking, similar to the clicking when a bad CV when you turn the wheel, but when it make the noise when driving straight and does not get louder when you turn the wheel. I just had CV's put in 2 months ago.

Old 11-14-2008, 05:01 PM
1st Gear

OKay, I took the wheel off for some inspection to see what the hell was going on. I looked at my cv's. Where the cv bolts to the tranny, there was 1 bolt missing and the collar that balances the "spin" still hadone bolt in it and the colooar was bent to **** was causing the noise. Brought it back the jackasses who put them in and said that they should never come out. I said bullshit, three of the bolts where loose and 1 missing. He said they used locktight.

Old 07-17-2011, 10:26 AM
1st Gear
Default front right wheel clicking

Im having a clicking problem around my front right wheel. BUT its
if i am coasting. Its fine under acceleration and braking. It happens
whether im in gear or not in gear. Has anyone had this problem or know
what it may be? Let me know...
Thanks

Old 01-03-2019, 08:38 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by SuperSage
Im having a clicking problem around my front right wheel. BUT its
if i am coasting. Its fine under acceleration and braking. It happens
whether im in gear or not in gear. Has anyone had this problem or know
what it may be? Let me know...
Thanks

i have this same problem, did you ever figure it out?

Old 09-28-2020, 11:59 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Paul Sanz

i have this same problem, did you ever figure it out?
Did anyone find out what was causing this? I’ve got exactly the same issue.

Old 10-08-2022, 05:55 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Nick Brook
Did anyone find out what was causing this? I’ve got exactly the same issue.
I've also got the same issue on my '07 RS4. Almost sounds like a heat shield rattling, but I've looked everywhere. Has loud clicking from front passenger side related to speed of tires over 35 mph when coasting, not accelerating. Happens regardless if I am in gear or not. Seems to amplify when hitting brakes, which is a bit different from the above post. I replaced the CV axle, and removed and inspect the brakes, no help. Does not have to do with turning... happens when going straight. Please help... need to get this car back on the road.

Last edited by smithw1; 10-08-2022 at 06:00 PM.