S Car Model Line Audi S4, Audi S6, and Audi S8..Audi's track-ready touch on each of the popular sedans

FMIC

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2007, 10:46 PM
1st Gear
Default FMIC

I'm looking for a good FMIC kit for my 01 S4, that I could do myself without any major modifacations, does anybody have any suggestions?

Old 10-30-2007, 11:17 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: FMIC

u can get a cheap intercooler off ebay and bend the pipes yourself at a muffler shop, just make sure the intercooler will fit in between the bumper and radiator, or u can buy a kit for like 1000 dollars

Old 10-31-2007, 01:01 AM
1st Gear

What about the fan that is in front of the radiator?

Old 11-03-2007, 10:26 AM
1st Gear

good suggestion #1: stick with smic's
good suggestion #2: dont get an fmic
(please dont take that the wrong way)

what have you done to your engine that requires the need for a fmic? or is it for looks? personally i feel it isnt important enough to do and costs quite alot if it is engineered/installed correctly...there are a few out there, anytime you do something to your car/ride that didnt come from the factory, it is going to be a modification...unless you are mechanically inclined, it might be a major ordeal

as far as the fan in front of the radiator, thats to push air into the radiator when the car isn't moving fast enough...here in the middle east, we have wired up additional electric fans with relays (they kick on when the ac is on) so their isnt so much stress on the stock ac system

Old 11-03-2007, 01:50 PM
3rd Gear

Honestly I agree with redleg's suggestions haha. Why do you want a FMIC? Stock intercoolers will do allright untill stage 3, and then theres a few real good smics out there from AWE to Evolution Racewerks.

However if you have your heart set on a FMIC far be it for me to stop you. If you do a google search for "s4 fmic" or "b5 s4 fmic" you should get a whole bunch of hits. Some are extremely expensive ($2200) others arent. If your mechanically inclined and put some effort and thought into it you could probably do it yourself. But i allways hear about people having to mod their bumpers etc, to me it seems like more of a pain than its worth. You could save a boat load of money buying an ebay core, some people say an intercooler is an intercooler, personally you wont ever find me using a $250 ebay fmic on my s4. From my point of view it would be less of a PITA to buy a kit, because it should come with everything you need, rather than buying a core, fabricating mounts, bending tubing. etc.

As far as FMIC's go, i can understand putting one on an STI because the stock intercooler is directly above the engine (heat rises), but with the dual SMICs on the s4 id prefer to stick some fat ER intercoolers in there with an RS4 bumper for some more air flow. Just my $.02

Old 11-03-2007, 02:37 PM
1st Gear

Well I thought FMIC would be better because I had plans on doing alot to my car and I thought I might as well get it out of the way now, but if you say SMIC will work good to then ill stick with that, plus they are cheaper. Thank You.

Old 11-03-2007, 02:39 PM
1st Gear

could you also send some links where i could get some good SMIC and a RS4 front bumber kit?

Old 11-03-2007, 05:46 PM
3rd Gear

My 2 favorites are AWE and Evolution Racewerks. There is a dyno vid on youtube of "the beast" an audi tuned by wicked motorsports with like 600+ HP and it has he ER intercoolers. Theres not much info on the ER site, i understand theyre moving locations or somehting silly so they might be oh hold for a little bit. Im getting mine in the spring

AWE - http://www.awe-tuning.com/pages/shar...20intercoolers
ER - www.evolutionracewerks.com < for some reason this site is screwy when i try to open it with safari (if your a mac guy)

As for an RS4 Bumper they can be quite pricey! www.achtuning.com has it for almost $900 and dont forget to add paint and installation haha. Theres a mod out there for the S4 bumper to make it look more rs4 ish. Basically you cut out the open portions in the bottom of the bumper including the solid plastic bars that go horizontal, sand and paint it etc, and replace them with RS4 Mesh and youll get more air flow.

Old 11-05-2007, 03:40 AM
1st Gear

yeah HP said it with the mod to the stock ft bunper, if you want to see the looks try,find a post that was just a couple weeks ago and they were showing pics of our rides and 2KS4 has it done. He also has one posted when he did it to his car, you know before and after pics. Just search under his name shouldnt be hard to find

P.S. just to back them up the SMIC work just as well on the S4 as a FMIC

Old 11-05-2007, 08:51 AM
1st Gear

There is a pretty decent set of SMICs on ebay from a company in cali. If you offer them 300 they will sell for that plus 50 shipping. Cores are the same size as AWE with cast instead of welded tanks. Bar and plate design similar to awe's, however they do not show the internal fin structure so there is no way to compare that. The great part about these is that the inlets and outlets are the same as stock so you can use the same hoses.