S Car Model Line Audi S4, Audi S6, and Audi S8..Audi's track-ready touch on each of the popular sedans

Help! Bad OS sensor on just-bought 55k 2000

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2008, 11:35 PM
1st Gear
Default Help! Bad OS sensor on just-bought 55k 2000

I bought my 2000 with only 55K on it two weeks ago from a high end german car dealer, but he's not an "Audi" dealer. So the car throws a CEL a week ago. Had the dealer's mechanic look at it(also the one the did the pre-purchase inspection[sm=smiley24.gif]). He cleared it out and the dealer gave me some BS about the ethenol in the gas. He said I can expect them all the time and I should just get a code reader. So I take the car to a local VW/Audi dealer and they say my O2 sensor is bad and want $500 parts and labor. My dealer gave me a powertrain warrenty, but that doesn't cover o2 sensors. What would you do? Politely demand he fix it ? Suck up the $190 sensor and try to do it myself? Is it a hard fix for an average household mechanic w/ limited Audi experience? Thanks in advance for any help. (sidenote: Already had a rear window regulator go bad, and I had to take care of SAFE mode because the dealer didn't know what he is talking about)

Old 04-24-2008, 02:34 AM
1st Gear
Default RE: Help! Bad OS sensor on just-bought 55k 2000

Get the CEL codes. You could go to your local Advance Auto Parts or AutoZone, ask for OBD meter and do it yourself for free. There are four sensors: two on the front (B2S1 and B1S1) before the catalytic converter and two on the rear (B2S2 and B1S2) after the catalytic converter. If you get CEL codes P1113 andP1131, then you will have to replace both front sensors.

I changed my front (B2S1 and B1S1) two weeks ago. It took me about an hour, but if I have to repeat the procedure will complete the task in 20 minutes. It is not very difficult; however, you will need some special tools, liquid wrench spray, and patience .

I used three long extensions, an offset socket, oxygen sensor socket (http://inpcars.com/oxygen-sensor-rem...islecorp-t.jpg) and 3/8" ratchet.

If you decide to do it by yourself, here is my procedure (everything is done from above): [ol][*]Locate and disconnect the sensors’ connectors. Both sensors have relatively long lines/cables which end with connectors. The connectors are located on the firewall. The B2S1 connector is accessible after moving aside the coolant tank, while B1S1 is on the passenger side and can be disconnected directly (http://www.audiworld.com/tech/pics/eng101_unplug.jpg).[*]Visually locate the sensors. B2S1 is on the driver side. B1S1 is on the passenger side.[*] You will have to unzip (possibly cut) some ties in order to free the oxygen sensors.[*] Spray the sensors with liquid wrench.[*] Assemble the three extensions, ratchet, and oxygen sensor socket for removing the passenger side B1S1. Approach the sensor under angle – it’s a straight shot.[*]Use the offset socket for removing the driver side B2S1.[*]Insert your new sensors by hand (maneuvering is very limited) to insure that they go smoothly. Tighten with the ratchet. Insert some zip ties and reconnect the cables.[/ol]

Old 04-24-2008, 08:34 AM
2nd Gear
Default RE: Help! Bad OS sensor on just-bought 55k 2000

that was the best write up I have heard in a long time for 02 replacement, yeah i would go to vast and suck up the replacement my self plus it is cheaper to DIY. plus once you do one do it your self you get more and more into it and look way cool. Only thing i cant do on my car is change my tires out for new ones.