S Car Model Line Audi S4, Audi S6, and Audi S8..Audi's track-ready touch on each of the popular sedans

Kind of a big problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2006, 03:25 AM
2nd Gear
Default Kind of a big problem

So I was riding in my buddies 00 S4 and the TBB slipped off, we had tools so put it back on and not a mile later it fell off again. We began to think it might be cracked so we headed back to his place and it fell off AGAIN. We took it off and upon inspecting it (stock TBB by the way), I noticed a moisture build up on the inside of the boot. It was coming from the driver's side intake and was in the plastic up-pipe as well (passenger side was fine). I found a good glob of it and it ends up its oil. Now I should mention the 1st turbo (these are K04 turbos, too, minus the fuelling kit, just installed about a month ago) hasn't really been working, and well... it just hasn't worked at all so we thought it was just a boost leak. Now I'm certain the turbo has blown and is spurting oil all throughout the intake. The turbo still sounds like it spools up fine, but it doesn't give any power. Any advice or opinions is suggested. I've never heard of a bad turbo blowing oil in the intake. And a lot of it too.

BTW, the TBB was slipping off because of the oil if you didn't catch on, it wasn't cracked.

Old 07-05-2006, 03:54 AM
2nd Gear
Default RE: Kind of a big problem

Oil leaks are signs of blown turbos

Old 07-05-2006, 03:56 AM
2nd Gear

Hah, thanks for the straight forward answer.

Old 07-05-2006, 04:03 AM
2nd Gear

i do what i can [8D]

Old 07-05-2006, 05:53 AM
2nd Gear

if a blown turbo is the case then that sucks big time... especially since i'm the buddy who's s4 it is. damn. this car has given me more grief than anything since i've gotten it... but i love it just the same!

Old 07-05-2006, 02:38 PM
3rd Gear

I might just be bad oil lines to the turbo. Or old oil in the system that the new turbo's are blowing out.

Why do a K04 install and keep the stock TBB? That makes not sense to me at all. Put the RS4 parts on there, or do the APR bi-pipe.

Disconnect the lower intercooler hose and see what comes out, after cleaning it all up, do some runs and see if it returns.

Old 07-05-2006, 02:44 PM
2nd Gear

Well there isn't any power difference, he doesn't have a fuelling kit so it isn't a true stage 3. And he got the APR Bi-pipe but APR fucked up and misdrilled a hole on it.

Old 07-05-2006, 05:27 PM
2nd Gear

Well here's the plan thus far, we will be replacing the K04's with the stock ones this weekend. 2 or 3 days of fun!!!! Yeah... I know, a lot of work. But it needs to be done. Damnit Han.

Old 07-05-2006, 09:05 PM
2nd Gear

shut up mott!!

i'm going to spend tomorrow and take off the entire front end. then i'm going to take apart the stock bi pipe and try replacing it with the apr one again. hopefully it will work this time. but in the meantime, i'm going to be doing some massive cleaning with the damn intercooler. hoping that there isn't a whole bunch of oil. either way, it'll be a fun weekend... i just wish i had a spare car....

Old 07-05-2006, 11:56 PM

From what I've read on these and other forums, it's normal to have some oil build up in the intake. Unless it really is A LOT of oil you shouldn't have anything to worry about.

Quick Reply: Kind of a big problem