S Car Model Line Audi S4, Audi S6, and Audi S8..Audi's track-ready touch on each of the popular sedans

Looking at an '00 S4... Advice request

Old 02-08-2008, 06:49 AM
Default Looking at an '00 S4... Advice request

Hey, S people.

Cool forum. I'm usually on the 914world.com, but I'm looking at a 2000 S4 and I could use some help deciding whether it's the right way to replace the Jetta (going off lease). I drive my cars like I stole them, and this would be a DD. I'm pretty handy fixing the 914, but probably not so much with a modern car.

This one has 1" drop springs with upgraded shocks, supersprint exhaust, baileys DV, upgraded clutch.
It has 124k miles.
The interior has silver suede inserts and in nice shape, the black exterior is very nice, no dents or serious blems.

I'm looking to spend under $10 grand, which I could get this one for, but this one might be beat to hell...

What should I be looking for?

Thanks!

Paul

Old 02-08-2008, 07:56 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: Looking at an '00 S4... Advice request

check if the timing belt was replaced... then listen to the turbos if you hear any wierd or high pitched noises.
all the parts that you have listed sofar are top quality..
the only problem that you would run into with 124k is the turbos blowing... but then if you pay 10K for the car. youll prolly need to end up spending another 5K to get the upgraded turbos and the manifolds and injectors...

Old 02-08-2008, 10:29 PM
1st Gear

Well if your going to drive the S like you stole it "all the time" then this prob is not the car for you. Alot can go wrong and parts are very expensive along with labor if your not going to be very handy. Don't get me wrong this is an amazing car to own and has great potential for mods if that is what you are looking for... As far as the deal your looking at it sounds like an ok deal for the amount you wanna spend. Your going to want to do a pre-purchase before you buy it and have them do an extensive check of the car. Like ARIaudi S4 ^^^^ i would ... check the timing belt and water pump thats a pretty big thing. And the turbos are going to go when they go so your can't really judge that but ya listen for sounds from them and you can usually tell the condition of a car by how the interior is. Good luck and i hope this helps
Scott

Old 02-09-2008, 12:12 AM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: ARIaudiS4

the only problem that you would run into with 124k is the turbos blowing...
WRONG!

Mine has 125K, I bought it with 110K... so, in the last 15K miles Ive done:

3 wheel bearings
tires
rims (bent, from potholes, so they werent extras)
timing belt
front CV joints and boots
driveshaft (that one was fun)
struts
and now it needs a ballast for the right HID.

Do yourself a favor and but a lower mileage A4, or spend more up fornt and get a lower Mileage S4.

Old 02-09-2008, 07:48 AM

Thanks for the feedback. Of course a PPI and the timing belt with associated front engine issues are on top of the list
to check. I wasn't looking to upgrade the top end, that's kind of a deal killer, along with potential suspension issues.
I wouldn't want another restoration (not quite done with the Porsche yet...), so I'll check those things closely. There's
also a mint '91 Quattro 20v with 80k and complete front engine service done for a reasonable $6500 I'm looking at.
Thanks again, keep the stories coming!
Paul

Old 02-09-2008, 09:54 AM

go for it, you never know, and seriously its been a while since I've read about blown turbos. Your chances are pretty good for buying a winner, don't expect all of artrips problems although that could happen to you. Just something here and there.

Old 02-09-2008, 12:59 PM
1st Gear

I just hit 130,000 miles with the stock turbos. Well at least the owner before me said original, but it would be my dream to find out that they were replaced with k04s. I haven't had to replace anything on my car yet...knock on wood. I've been driving mine for 10,000 miles. But the previous owner took great care of it, and was the general manager at an Audi dealership, so the cost for him to replace any problem that came up was very very low he said. Only problem with mine so far is a knocking control arm or TRE. I would say go for it, and try and not worry about the turbos blowing, you might get lucky like audi ops^^^ said.