S Car Model Line Audi S4, Audi S6, and Audi S8..Audi's track-ready touch on each of the popular sedans

Looking for some 1/4 mile tips

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2008, 12:33 PM
1st Gear
Default Looking for some 1/4 mile tips

I have an 01.5 S4 6-speed with a GIAC-X ecu (stock, pump gas, race gas programs) and am going to be taking my car to the drag strip next month. Only car I have taken to the strip is my old 1993 Nissan Altima which was an automatic and ran mid 16's. I have alot of questions that would really help get me ready...
1) I would like to test out pump and race gas programs, what is the best procedure for this? Am I safe running a few times on pump gas and then putting in a couple gallons of race gas once the gas light comes on and switching programs? Will the race gas program put a lot of extra stress on my car?
2) What is the best launch/shift procedure on this car? I have a stock clutch in the car and would like a decent launch but don't want to wear out my clutch.
3) Should I spin my tires before the race to warm them up? How much will this affect times?
4) Should I run the car with stock S4 17's with performance winter tires or with aftermarket 18's with Z-rated tires?
5) What easy things can I remove from the car to lighten it at the track? (I assume just the spare tire, jack, etc.)
6) While waiting in line do you leave the car running all day to minimize wear on the turbo's or turn it off after allowing it to cool down and turn it back on when you need to move?

Sorry for all of the questions but it would be a huge help. Any people in the Western PA area want to meet up and run as well let me know.

Old 03-17-2008, 02:32 PM
2nd Gear
Default RE: Looking for some 1/4 mile tips

1. Race gas = more HP and TQ, so yes, thats more stress.

2. Stock clutch...take it easy on the launch, especially since your chipped, unless of course you are planning on upgrading it like in the next week...

3. You have quattro....good luck spinning your tires anywhere near whats needed to warm them up short of doing donuts....it doesnt matter when you have AWD.

4. As long as your treads arent shot, use the wheel tire combo that weighs the least. less rotational mass is like added HP/TQ, makes a huge difference.

5. Back seat just pops out...dont fill the tank over a 1/4 tank, no junk in it (spare tire, jack, clothes, tools...nothing!) take out your floor mats (if you have them). any other junk you have laying around. you can even go extreme and remove your exhaust from the cat-back.

6. The turbos are happiest when oil is running through them...you dont have to let it run for hours or anything, but after your run, give it a good 20 minutes for the oil cool down...shutting it down with hot oil in it is really bad for them. Also, stay below 3k RPM until the oil is at about 160-170...

That should cover it...

You should Run the Boxster too for comparison!

Old 03-17-2008, 02:47 PM
1st Gear

Thanks for the help. The Boxster is more of a track beast than for the strip. I figure it would run close to even with the S4 in stock form, maybe a slight edge. After chipping it the S4 feels much faster in a straight line.
I assume running race gas all of the time would be more stress but do you think for just a day at the track I run a much higher risk of breaking something? Am I safe to run the race program with a 93 octane/race gas mixture?
About what RPM should I launch the car at? Dump clutch / ease it in?

Old 03-17-2008, 04:22 PM
2nd Gear

The S4 is much more of a track car than it is a strip car as well...

Running 100 oct for one day wont break anything unless its already on the verge of it.

considering you are probably putting around 350 ft/lbs through the tranny, i would not rev up too much...you're clutch isnt made for that. I'd probably just keep it around 2500 max. I have a tip, and i can just punch it from idle and still run a low 13....and thats pretty respectable for a 3600 lbs 4 door automatic....

The race program is made for track use, not everyday driving. and remember, the time parts are being really stressed is on the launch. just accelerating doesnt hurt them. So i would presonally recomend taking it easy on your launches and just run people down. in the long run, you will have way less problems.

Old 03-18-2008, 08:41 AM
1st Gear

Thanks for the advice Blue.

Anyone else with a 6mt B5 S4 with strip experience care to add anything?