S Car Model Line Audi S4, Audi S6, and Audi S8..Audi's track-ready touch on each of the popular sedans

Looking for some advice on a b5 s4

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2006, 08:47 PM
Default Looking for some advice on a b5 s4

Hey guys! Great forum you guys have around here. I'm looking to purchase a b5 s4. I would like to know if a b5 s4 is a reliable car, easy to maintain etc.. I'm looking to keep this car for awhile (5 years maybe..) Will it last? I want something that I can dump my money into and still be able to have some life once it gets higher up in the miles (100k+). I've been interested in these cars for awhile now but the fact I keep hearing how the reliablity and cost to fix things is really expensive!! Which refrains me from jumping on and purchasing one. I'm like everyone else who likes to drive hard at times throughout the day. I don't want to have to worry about anything breaking. I know certain events will pop up in which you may need to fix here and there but I don't want it to be habit in which I have to spend all my money fixing the car. It fits my category of having a good winter vehicle, good looking car, and has performance to back it up!! If you can leave me with any info worth looking at I would appreciate it a lot!

Thanks,
Erik

Old 05-23-2006, 09:20 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: Looking for some advice on a b5 s4

Search the forums here and at audiworld.com. There are hundreds of replies on this topic, and many of them are extremely helpful. Search "advice" and I'm not trying to be a jerk but search "noob" too, especially in audiworld.com. They have some articles for "noobs" on what to expect.

I think the general consensus is no, they are not cheap to fix/maintain. Save money, self insure, and post the cars you are seriously looking at on these boards so the more experienced members can tell you if it's a good deal.

G. Luck.

Old 05-24-2006, 01:15 AM
2nd Gear

My advise is to buy one. Haha sure sti's evos whatever are fast, but nothing like an S4, so comfotable so quiet (stock). Amzing to drive NO LAG!

Old 05-24-2006, 02:26 AM
Site Moderator

agreed..do a search i know weve had at least 2 of these posts in thelast couple months.. but overall its a really strong car that if you take care of it it will last. But it has a few "vulnerabilities". if you replace a few parts youre set for a long while. mainly the throttle body boot, you can replace the y pipe. and the turbos can go easy. but once you replace those you dont have too much to worry about outside of general maintainence... also, its a great community that you can get help from on pretty much anything. and go do it...keep some money on hand in case.. and you wont regret it.. honestly one of the best overall cars out there.

Old 05-24-2006, 04:03 AM
2nd Gear

Erik - The B5S4 is a great car - but not without "issues" as Sooks and the others have pointed out. I think it is a car that will last and can take tough punishment - but at the same time you need to be prepared for the rather high instances of failures of certain parts and need to be prepared to spend some $ to maintain and replace such. Audis in general are expensive to maintain - the parts are not cheap and while many can work on them - I for one can't - so my S4 has certainly cost me plenty over the years. Still I love the car - it goes like the devil - very satisfying - and its easily (though not necisarily cheaply) upgradable to go even better...a chip UG and some maintence items (DVs & certain hoses & such) is recommended and you will have great fun with the car (in all weather!)

Old 05-24-2006, 10:30 AM

How long have you guys owned your s4's? How many miles have you put on them and how many total miles are there now? What has gone wrong with each of your vehicles. Just looking to see what each person has gone through and what it has cost them. Thanks

Old 05-24-2006, 12:26 PM
Site Moderator

I have had mine since last september. Ive put on 15k and am at 40k now. Only issue ive had was had a brake hose that partially disconnected.... (somewhat unfair as its aftermarket) And my sunroof is a bit off track. Right now im getting a hum occasionally under slower speeds..Think its a wheel bearing... but it isnt frequent enough for a solid diagnosis....

Old 05-24-2006, 03:24 PM
1st Gear

I bought my 2001 s4 back in october of 2005. Since then I have replaced the clutch (previous owner had a racing one put in that didn't last very long) and the brake pads (I upgraded to stoptech stage II but didn't have to, just the pads needed replacing.) I'm hearing a noise which people on here are telling me is the wheel bearing, its getting checked out at the stealership tommorow (at least I still have my factory warrenty). Its a wonderful car to have, drives magnificantly, but when something breaks it will cost you. I think the main problem with the b5 models are the tb boot like others mentioned and the suspension, and turbos if you dont take care of them properly (letting the car idle for a bit before turning it off). Good luck on whatever you chose!

Old 05-24-2006, 03:26 PM
Site Moderator

wheel bearings do seem to be a common problem.. but thats similar to any car i guess.

Old 05-26-2006, 04:56 AM
1st Gear

depends on how much care the previous owner took of it. ive had alot of problems with mine but i found it was due to the guy taking it to a not to good mechanic to fix it and bent some valves in the intake.

then again i work with a guy that has a 01 s4 with the stg3 kit on it and he has not had one problem with it except cv boot problems

if you can get a warranty with it. it might suck to shell out the extra $$$ buy i paid 2500 for a 2 year 25k warranty and so far it has paid out over 10k. good investment.

again do a carfax, look at the car. if you know some people that ar mechanics bring them along with you. also you can have a audi dealership look at the car for a fee to see if it has any problems with it from the get go.

hope this answers some of your ?'s