S Car Model Line Audi S4, Audi S6, and Audi S8..Audi's track-ready touch on each of the popular sedans

Need help! B5 S4 Fuel Issue

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2009, 03:49 PM
Default Need help! B5 S4 Fuel Issue

Ok so yesterday I took the car out to head down to the track. I realize that my fuel is really low, below the E. I hadn't driven it in a little because I had an issue with my axle which i finally fixed. So I head to the first gas station a couple miles down the road, and right as I pull up to the pump, the car dies which i'm assuming is because it ran out of gas. I put 10 bucks in, and she starts right up.

I drive out of the gas station and back on to the road, and as im sitting at a stop light, the car dies again. Try to turn it on and it just cranks and cranks. Won't start. So I call my dad to come and bring his truck with a tow strap, and I turn the car off. I wait about 30 or 45 seconds, start it up, drive far enough to get out of the intersection and it dies again.

So I tow it home and talk to my buddy who's an audi mechanic and he says, sounds like a fried fuel pump. He says to undo the fuel feed up front and see if its pressurized. I undo the line, and very little pressure. He says yep, definitely the pump. So I find a used pump at another shop and throw that in. Fires up, runs for a couple minutes, then dies again. Let it sit for 30 seconds to a minute, it will start back up for another 30 seconds or so.

The longer I wait before firing it up again, the longer it will run for.

So I just tested the original fuel pump (the one i thought was shot) by putting it in a bucket of fuel, and hooking it up to my dad's truck's battery while the truck is running. After about 10-15 minutes of the pump running, I decide that the pump must be good.

What other problems could it be? FPR? Sediment sucked into the fuel filter? Fuse or relay for the pump? Any ideas at all? What should i check?

Old 05-21-2009, 12:48 AM

I have now replaced the pump, filter, relay, fuse... nothing has worked yet