S Car Model Line Audi S4, Audi S6, and Audi S8..Audi's track-ready touch on each of the popular sedans

Possibly doing a K04 swap.. opinions?

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2009, 01:49 AM
Default Possibly doing a K04 swap.. opinions?

With the onset of both turbos being blown.. I have $4700 from the sale of the truck, and im going to be putting it into the Audi... heres the wishlist.. tell me if you guys would do the K04 swap or if you would just do the 03's... what would be in my budget?

Wish List
K04's with complete swap.. (besides the turbos, what all is needed?)
Suspension - KW & AMI kit on VWVortex for 685.00 shipped
Upgraded Rods/ Head Gasket - Good idea or must?
New DV's - APR Bipipe - Combo kit 518.19
New Clutch - 699.99 on AWE for Stage III - could stage II handle it?
Fuel System - This I have no clue... just bigger injectors/pump/MAF/reg?
Water pump - stock should do it?
Vent Gauge - anyone know the cheapest place to get it?
Turbo Timer - even neccesary?
ECU/ Tune - for the mods, what chip is best for the K04's
New hose kit for the K04's and such - Can I use stock IC's with K04's?
Exhaust - Best to go get a custom one bent for $400? found a few for 325 - 500 for a used catback.. will that suffice (2.5ID)
Snub Mount - was gonna happen anyways
CF Hood - expensive but would be nice
Smoked Tails - might have found someone to trade

Pro's, what would be the best situation? The car is in the shop getting a new engine put it, were deciding what to do about the turbos and such, then well order them and he already said that labor is not a problem (hes a close friend) and that will be free.. Would you guys take the easy route and just fix the K03's and say to hell with it? I'm going to keep the car for a good number of years, and its all **** i want to eventually do, but I want it to be reliable.. Can I do it the right way for my price (give or take $500) that would be awesome... Im just looking eveywhere and researching, and its just so much information... and I cant find any definate answers to any of those ?'s.. anyone please chime in.. I would definatly appreciate the hell out of a good word on anything you guys know.

Old 01-14-2009, 08:46 AM

If you currently have the money, then by all means go with the K04s.
I can almost guarantee you'll end up replacing K03s again if you own it long enough.

If it were me, I would just replace the things that require the engine to be pulled right now, and add the rest piece by piece.

With these cars it's a good idea to keep a decent amount of "oh, ****!" money handy.

This would be my priority list...

K04's with complete swap.. (besides the turbos, what all is needed?) RS4 inlet pipes that's it.
Suspension - I'd wait
Upgraded Rods/ Head Gasket - Good idea, not necessary
New DV's - APR Bipipe - Combo kit 518.19 DVs are a must Samco TBB is cheaper than bi-pipe
New Clutch - 699.99 on AWE for Stage III Go stg. 3 while your in there
Fuel System - That depends if you're going full Stg. 3 or not
Water pump - Stock is fine
Vent Gauge - anyone know the cheapest place to get it? I don't sorry
Turbo Timer - Not neccesary unless you don't have tome to wait a minute
ECU/ Tune - IMO GIAC, again it depends on how big your going.
New hose kit for the K04's and such - Do it while your in there. Silicone Samcos are good, there are cheaper ones on Ebay will just need some minor trimming
Can I use stock IC's with K04's? You can but since the front is off I'd get a set of ERs or AWEs
Exhaust - Best to go get a custom one bent for $400? found a few for 325 - 500 for a used catback.. will that suffice (2.5ID) Do Piggies or DPs now while it's out. $400 for a custom is good if it's SS, I'd do that.
Snub Mount - was gonna happen anyways. That's good 034 Motorsport's is awesome
CF Hood - I'd wait
Smoked Tails - might have found someone to trade. FREEBIE!

Old 01-14-2009, 02:01 PM
2nd Gear

as far as k04 inlets, several have actually just modified their K03 inlets to work, its really cheap then, like 20 bucks in parts. search for it over at audiworld.com

Old 01-14-2009, 08:20 PM

Originally Posted by Blue_S4
as far as k04 inlets, several have actually just modified their K03 inlets to work, its really cheap then, like 20 bucks in parts. search for it over at audiworld.com

That's true, but the stock cast pieces store heat soak more than the mandrel bent pieces due to wall thickness.

But if your that stretched for cash, machining them is a good option.

Old 01-14-2009, 08:32 PM

go stage 3, you won't regret it!

Old 01-14-2009, 09:09 PM
1st Gear

im in total agreement with red!!! Dont do suspension yet. Its totally not necessary at this point. You dont need to upgrade rods or pistons unless you are going with RS6 turbos or bigger. Turbo timers arent necessary but if you wanna spend the money by all means feel free. If you go stage 3, a fueling kit is gonna cost you a couple grand so thats up to you if you go that route. If you do, upgraded intercoolers are a must, definitely a stage 3 clutch/flywheel. Definitely go with piggie dps because they are a ton cheaper than awe or asp dps and work just as good. You dont need an apr bi pipe when samco tbb is 75-80 bucks. samco hose kit for sure. Snub mount for sure. Might want to get a drivetrain stabilizer too if you go stage 3. Awe sells a decent one. http://www.avalonmotorsports.com/ind...&products_id=2 probably your best bet for K04s and inlets. Good luck!!!!!