S Car Model Line Audi S4, Audi S6, and Audi S8..Audi's track-ready touch on each of the popular sedans

problem with RS6 turbo build performance

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2009, 11:52 PM
2nd Gear
Default problem with RS6 turbo build performance

okay.. so im sure youve all seen my build log for my RS6 turbo-ed s4.. car runs great.. one problem.. if its been running for a while.. when i try and get on it at WOT.. it pulls good and starts all of a sudden randomly cutting out.. its like the fuel pump just starts flowing horribly.. so i have three codes in the car now.. P1113, P1131, and P1296.. first two codes are oxygen sensors internal resistance problem and the last one is a ECT sensor problem. so i have the ECT sensor and im ready to install.. only thing is i dont think that this is my problem.. im guessing fuel pump. EGT sensors or maf problem.. maf is brand new and obviously wired properly as it runs perfect sometimes and acts up on occasion, after the car is warm.. so that leaves fuel pump and EGT sensors.. and im guessing if the fuel pump started acting up then it would do it more and more as the night goes on, and not the case.. it would pull good.. then horrible.. then awesome.. then bad again.. so that leaves the EGT sensors.. but i have no codes for them.. so im wondering how can i test or should you just change after certain mileage or what??

Old 07-30-2009, 01:43 AM
2nd Gear

hah, a friend of mine and myself are discussing the same thing with our cars.

i had that happen to me the other day (k04's, 24 psi at the time), something is cutting the fuel for sure. it could be a faulty signal from the sensors but I'm thinking it's a fuel pressure issue.

my friend has a 9-2x and recently got a tune, after that it happens quite often for him and only in certain rpms/speeds.

i'm thinking the stock FPR is releasing fuel back through the lines and that's what causes it to pick off so dramatically and instantaneously.

Old 07-30-2009, 01:51 AM
2nd Gear

actually, after a little online searching, it seems like a maxed fuel pump issue

I'm planning to switch to a 255 soon, so maybe that will help. maybe its the same with u

Old 07-30-2009, 05:36 PM

are you on stock fuel pump?

Old 07-30-2009, 06:11 PM
2nd Gear

this is like it doesnt hold boost... like it limits itself at 10 psi.. then drive a little longer and it pulls like a beast.... all the way to 23 psi.. i changed fuel filter and ect sensor today, no change.. so i dont know whats going on.. fuel pump is stock...

Old 07-30-2009, 06:21 PM
2nd Gear

so it doesn't hold boost? with me ill accelerate and in the mid-high rpms i'll get a jolt back for maybe 1/4-1/2 second and then it'll keep going.

but you're saying when cold it will limit your boost but once its warm you'll be fine?

makes me think EGT

Old 07-30-2009, 08:20 PM
2nd Gear

no.. you never know.. my buddy went for a ride with me today and it pulled like a ferarri the whole time.. then i took another ride with another friend.. same thing.. freaking beast.. then.. i came home after work and got on it once or twice in 2nd and it wouldnt go over 10 psi. then i scooted on around the neighborhood and it was a beast again...its so erratic. and no codes.. i do know vagcom showed 1034 degrees Celsius which is like 1893 degrees Fahrenheit..i do see that the maf, o2 sensors and egt sensors all show they use the same ground.. and ive got two codes for both o2 sensors and internal resistance malfunctions.. i wonder if a bad ground could contribute to both issues??

Old 07-30-2009, 08:26 PM
2nd Gear

I really wouldn't be surprised of a bad ground, especially because of it being so sporadic.

Old 07-30-2009, 08:42 PM
2nd Gear

ya.. especially since one day the car will act up when its cold, the next day itll do it after it gets warm...so ill do some checks and find out tomorrow..

Old 07-31-2009, 10:08 PM
2nd Gear

ok... i think ive figured out the problem. talked to my good buddy and the guy that did my tune out at EPL, tony, he said that i need to drive it and get it to act up and log it on vagcom. he said to check out the misfire log and see what cylinders are acting up.. so i did.. seems as though the only ones to act up were 4,5, and 6 on a regular basis.. so i began to wonder if i had a bad ignition control module, not even really knowing if one module controls those three cylinders or not.. so anyways.. decided to look back over some of my work, check grounds and such and i went ahead and redid the wiring that i did for the MAF sensor and the crank sensor with butt connectors and soldered them.. then i noticed when i moved my coolant reservoir that one of the small hoses had a tiny leak, and i guess it was just enough to spill out on the ignition coils on the driver side bank and cause them to malfunction.. then when a misfire is picked up the ecu limited the boost to 10 psi or so.. so i had 2 issues, one was trying to make sure that another problem would not occur.. i drove it home and it was perfect, and then later got on it and it pulled amazingly all night.. ima cross my fingers and hope it doesnt happen tomorrow.. and i may go ahead and change all the coils since theyre 35 bucks a piece at the dealer..

Quick Reply: problem with RS6 turbo build performance