S Car Model Line Audi S4, Audi S6, and Audi S8..Audi's track-ready touch on each of the popular sedans

Questions on a 01-02 S4 model line

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2005, 02:30 PM
1st Gear
Default Questions on a 01-02 S4 model line

Hey guys,

sorry for the newbie posts here but , I've decided to let my RX7 go and to just step into the world of a Luxury-Sport mix with a 01-02 S4. I have some simple questions for you guys here on deciding what car I want to go with for sure, so i'll just post them in a simple format.

1. Is there navigation avaiable for these cars? I want a LCD display about 5-7 inches and don't really care about the cost, but more that there IS a stock mounted navigation avaiable without having to get a stereo with it.

2. Do these model years come with HIDs ?

3. How is the drivetrain on the S4, AWD cars have always scared me and I never thought about buying one before, but I've always loved the S4's so I can't help myself. Are they really weak transfer cases? I'm not racing the car or anything so thats not really a issue to take into consideration.

4. What is the nitty gritty with these cars that the average owner wouldn't know? Little small quirkey things that are wrong with the car to watch out for.

5. Is there any cooling issues with these cars at all?

6. How much power does basic modifications support, IE basic intake, downpipes and catbacks, nothing ricey just some basic BPUs. Also, intercoolers what do you guys run ? And how much power will BPUs give me ?

That should just about do it for my questions, thanks for the support and help guys!

-Gerard

Old 10-09-2005, 04:20 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: Questions on a 01-02 S4 model line

welp looks like I can get a plug and play nav unit for 1500 bucks from the newer audis as long as I have a symphony headunit in the S4 im buying. Sweet

Old 10-09-2005, 07:48 PM
2nd Gear

For navi, you can get any double din head unit on the market with no modifications, so kenwood and alpine and navigation units such as that will work, as well as having 2 single din unite, one with a motorized display. Audi has the best AWD platform on the market, and its SO much more worth it than just getting a rwd or fwd. You will get better launches for the most part cuz no skidding. The only major issues are turbos blowing which wont happen till about 100k miled unless you chip it without reenforcing some of the exhisting engine components. With BPU's ull be pushing prolly over 300 at the brakes, i think. Most go for the RS4 intercoolers cuz they r OEM and work very nice, and esp if you are going for the k04 turbos later which will actually last u longer. If you donw want the twin intercoolers you can get a DUH front mount intercooler which some people on this forum have done.

Old 10-09-2005, 08:57 PM
1st Gear

its no ford, when stuff breaks, its expensive. as long as you treat the car well, a.k.a. dont beat the $&%# out of it, it will last as long as those turbos will. scarzie was right, the RS4 intercoolers really seem to work well. The S4 is a sweet car man, and there is an endless amount of stuff you can do it, funds pending. good luck
oh yea, and the xenon's on the S4 really are excellent

ben

Old 10-09-2005, 11:56 PM

ORIGINAL: nopistons94

Hey guys,

sorry for the newbie posts here but , I've decided to let my RX7 go and to just step into the world of a Luxury-Sport mix with a 01-02 S4. I have some simple questions for you guys here on deciding what car I want to go with for sure, so i'll just post them in a simple format.

1. Is there navigation avaiable for these cars? I want a LCD display about 5-7 inches and don't really care about the cost, but more that there IS a stock mounted navigation avaiable without having to get a stereo with it.

2. Do these model years come with HIDs ?

3. How is the drivetrain on the S4, AWD cars have always scared me and I never thought about buying one before, but I've always loved the S4's so I can't help myself. Are they really weak transfer cases? I'm not racing the car or anything so thats not really a issue to take into consideration.

4. What is the nitty gritty with these cars that the average owner wouldn't know? Little small quirkey things that are wrong with the car to watch out for.

5. Is there any cooling issues with these cars at all?

6. How much power does basic modifications support, IE basic intake, downpipes and catbacks, nothing ricey just some basic BPUs. Also, intercoolers what do you guys run ? And how much power will BPUs give me ?

That should just about do it for my questions, thanks for the support and help guys!

-Gerard
1. Yes there is nav availble although i dont know how good it is and there is no screen. U can go to a site, http://nav-plus.com/
2. Yes HID (xenon) is standard on teh S4s
3.No they are very strong. I kno ppl (jay) that has Stage 3 tubros (dual K04s) and he has quttro and tomritt has a ton of hp and he has quattro also. Also with a few mods it can handle over 500hp.
4. http://forums.audiworld.com/s4/msgs/1407640.phtml
5. No there are no cooling issues with the car.
6. There are more mods than u can think of. I simple ecu chip will give u around 310 hp alone. No otehr mods required. Intakes wont do much but are availble. Downpipes, exhuast, turbo upgrades everything. Go to audi links and see all the stuff availble.
INtercoolers stock are all right, but those with stage 3 go to RS4 intercoolers. Thsoe can be had from many of the in audi links. try awe-tuning,com, ecstuning.com

If u have any other questions feel free to PM me.

Old 10-10-2005, 01:33 AM
1st Gear

according to nav-plus's site there is screen interface for the car though? I just researched it and you can put a B6 nav into a B5 as long as it has the sym stereo system. Cost is around 1500 bucks though, which isn't bad at all for a nice 6-7 inch display it looks like.

All this sounds good so far, my RX7 runs 12.6 right now so it's hard to just give that up for something slower. Thats my major worry

Old 10-10-2005, 01:58 AM

Well sure its gonna be slow, b/c its not a sports car like that. although it could beat that. Just think of it as a new project

Old 10-12-2005, 04:19 AM
1st Gear

All this sounds good so far, my RX7 runs 12.6 right now so it's hard to just give that up for something slower. Thats my major worry

Bryce- Well if you get the k04 kit then you will be around there SO JUST GET THAT AND YOU WILL BE HAVE A ALL WHEEL DRIVE BURN OUT... not really but you will spin and go buddy go!!! ha ha