S Car Model Line Audi S4, Audi S6, and Audi S8..Audi's track-ready touch on each of the popular sedans

Removing AC/PS/WP...

Old 12-05-2007, 11:26 AM
1st Gear
Default Removing AC/PS/WP...

I'm not finding much in regards to people configurations of the B5 S4 (2.7 biturbo) where people have removed the AC/PS... and I may be even interested in removing the WP and using an electric pump. The AC removal might be more standard and removing the PS/WP is probably rare. Does anyone know anyone that has removed all three? Any advantages or disadvantages..? I can only see upsides, obvious that money and custom fabrication, but removing the HEAVY steering rack and putting in a lightweight fast ratio rack, less weight, and less engine drag.

Shawn

Old 12-05-2007, 02:32 PM
3rd Gear
Default RE: Removing AC/PS/WP...

I would remove the AC, not sure about the WP & PS. The WP also drives off the TB, so you might as well just leave it, it's going to be a PITA to get a dummy pulley & fab up a water routing system in there, just not room.

The PS, would say, remove the belt, & drive it around, see if you can turn the dam pig. My guess is the steering will be way to heavy with out it.

Old 12-05-2007, 03:10 PM
2nd Gear

The AC Compressor clutch should basically take any resistance off of the belt unless it's in use. Can't you just not use the compressor?

I basically never use the AC compressor, unless it's 95+ degrees driving on the highway in the summertime. I don't even use it with the defroster, that's what cracking the window is for

Old 12-05-2007, 04:13 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: meatbiscuit
I basically never use the AC compressor, unless it's 95+ degrees driving on the highway in the summertime. I don't even use it with the defroster, that's what cracking the window is for
So do you mean you just leave it in ECON mode? I've heard that's what the ECON function does....right?

Old 12-05-2007, 05:21 PM
2nd Gear

Yeah, the Econ button disengages the compressor. Unfortunately, the default setting from Audi for the AC compressor is ON. So basically, unless you explicitly tell it not to run (ie. with the ECON button) it is always on robbing your engine of some valuable HP.

Old 12-05-2007, 08:20 PM
1st Gear

There will be no duct work, nor heater core, as for the car will be antrack car, and the effort of being as light as possible is in mind, so if I can remove 50 pounds by removing the AC then it is a WIN-WIN... I would like to put a self lubricated rack, that is all aluminum and weighs a couple pounds verses the 50 pound power steering rack plus pump that is in there.

Old 07-19-2014, 04:41 PM
1st Gear

I was curious about the a/c removal of the 98 a4 2.8 Quattro. Besides a shorter belt is there anything I would need to worry about getting or have made like a dummy pulley bracket or anything that would be in the way? all I can find is a small amount of info saying rip it out and if you don't know than don't do it and info for the 12v 2.8. I have a 30v 2.8 AHA motor. I need to drop some weight as well and I haven't it used the a/c since I got the car. I pulled the motor when I got it to fix the tranny and take out the SAI system. TIA Cheers!