S Car Model Line Audi S4, Audi S6, and Audi S8..Audi's track-ready touch on each of the popular sedans

Replacing CV Boots - Need Help

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2007, 09:52 PM
1st Gear
Default Replacing CV Boots - Need Help

Today I found out that my front, outer CV boots (2001 S4) are busted and decided to replace them by myself. At this point, I am struggling with the top 2 control arms. They are so tight and hard to move. I am unable to remove the pinch bolt from the upright (I am using penetrating spray). Do I need remove that bold completely in order to free the control arms? After removing the nut I hit the pinch bolt with a hammer but it still does not move. Is it weld?

Old 09-20-2007, 10:13 PM
Site Moderator
Default RE: Replacing CV Boots - Need Help

Yeah you have to take out the "pinch" bolt that holds the upper links to the spindle.
If its just spinning and not coming out try using a pry bar on the head of the bolt and help it out while turning it. Once that bolt is out you can bang the upper links out with a hammer easily.

Old 09-20-2007, 10:17 PM
1st Gear

ok. i see. the thing is that the head of the bolt is like glued in there. i can't even move it a bit. is that bolt just pushed in there or is it threaded in? i don't even have enough space to push it out with a pray bar.

Old 09-20-2007, 10:28 PM
Site Moderator

Its pushed in there, just the end is threaded so that the nut can hold it on.

Old 09-21-2007, 12:25 AM
1st Gear

This is crazy, the "pinch" bolt does not move at all! After several hours of hammering, turning the steering wheel left and right, using penetrating spray, etc… I am about to give up for tonight and will continue tomorrow. Is there a way I can replace the CV boot without moving the two upper control arms? Also (this may be a stupid question) but is there a solid place where I can place the jack-stands? I tried multiple locations around the but the metal bends so easily… I even used 2x4 piece of wood which cracked…

Old 09-21-2007, 09:13 AM
1st Gear

I removed my front right shaft by turning the wheel all the way to the left. If it is the drivers side, turn wheel to the right. Then, place a block under the spindle and lower the car jack so that all of the weight is on the A arms and the suspension is compressed. I was able to slip the end of the shaft out of the wheel hub back towards the back of the car. This will same you much time vs. taking off that impossible pinch bold. I tried to replace the bwheel bearings and could not remove it either...

There is another post on this and that is how I got the idea. It works...

Old 09-21-2007, 01:03 PM
3rd Gear

Put the nut back on it, & tap it with a hammer. Also take a pry bar, & try to separate the pinch area's.