S Car Model Line Audi S4, Audi S6, and Audi S8..Audi's track-ready touch on each of the popular sedans

S4 & Heart Attacks

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2006, 04:45 PM
1st Gear
Default S4 & Heart Attacks

My 2001.5 S4 loves to give me heart attacks. My past 2 trips to my mechanic have yielded no problems fortunately. First, a clicking noise when turning left...brought to the mechanic and paid 2 hours of service charges to find out that nothing is wrong...its the calipers that may need to be replaced sometime soon, but nothing with wheel bearings, cv joints/boots/axles...good thing..

So this morning, I get ready to drive to work...can't get the car in gear when the car is turned on...I can get into gear with the car off then turn it on in gear, but reverse still won't work...so I get it towed 35 miles to the mechanic again....the guy turns the car in and throws it in reverse, then takes it for a spin....Nothing wrong again...tranny is fine, all the bushings and whatnot are perfect...this time I didn't get charged for service.

Has this ever happened to anyone else?...Is this a sign that the tranny may be on its way out?...Either way, I have a for sale sign on the car now cause I can't handle this stress.

Old 06-12-2006, 04:54 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: S4 & Heart Attacks

Yep, all the time for reverse, but really need to just put it in first then put it in reverse for me, I had all the fluids flushed and once the trans fluid was new (Royal Purple) it seems to loosen right back up after a week or 2

Old 06-12-2006, 07:54 PM
1st Gear

Mine is a 2000 s4. I am having the same sound when I turn left turn. And only if I accelerate and turn left at the same time, the low clicking sound comes up. I do not know what is wrong with it. You sure that is the caliper needs to be changed? And I changed my front rotors and pads because it made noise. After I changed it, the first couple days were really nice. But after that, it makes a sharp sound whenever I apply the brake. and the left side of my rotor turned different color. Is there anybody knows what happens to it? I just changed to drilled rotors and pads...
[quote]ORIGINAL: masterk

My 2001.5 S4 loves to give me heart attacks. My past 2 trips to my mechanic have yielded no problems fortunately. First, a clicking noise when turning left...brought to the mechanic and paid 2 hours of service charges to find out that nothing is wrong...its the calipers that may need to be replaced sometime soon, but nothing with wheel bearings, cv joints/boots/axles...good thing..

Old 06-12-2006, 10:29 PM
Site Moderator

Hmm... interesting. Not so sure what that would be. the clicking generally is CV joint i believe. As far as the brakes..[sm=dontgetit.gif] I think its possible to glaze or scorch the pad/rotor before its broken in. did you have any really hard braking early on. I suppose thats possible and maybe will go away after a beat more use. But dont quote me on that..its a stab in the dark.

Old 06-12-2006, 11:47 PM
1st Gear

Sounds like the beginning of cv axle bearing failure...

Old 06-13-2006, 12:02 PM
1st Gear

Ok, don't jump all over me on this one....but have you washed the car recently?...if not, give it a good wash and let that 'tussin get up in there....maybe the color change will disappear. as for your clicking, if its like mine its almost a creaking noise...it sounds like crap and makes me nervous, but I had everything pulled apart and looked at...no cv damage of any kind...calipers supposedly...don't ask me how