S Car Model Line Audi S4, Audi S6, and Audi S8..Audi's track-ready touch on each of the popular sedans

Turbo questions...

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2007, 05:27 PM
2nd Gear
Default Turbo questions...

Another question...I did search, and found nothing. Do turbos spool when in park? i have a little whine from the turbos, so i took a crappy cell phone video of it...you can see on the tach where the sound is at when driving. Then i took a video in park, and you can still hear it just as well...they are both crappy videos (sorry) so you have to turn the sound up kinda high. Do you think that these turbos are going out? or is all this pretty normal? I also ran the DTC and came up with both O2 sensors needing replacement, could the extra resistance this causes be making some of the sound as well? Thanks for you help.

Video while driving
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ejZ2QferUnM

video while in park
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LgHDgicNKfI

oh yea, i called my local audi/VW "tuner" they told me labor for k04 upgrade is only 10-12 hours of work, $750-900, just thought that was pretty good compared to what i have been told and what i have heard.

Old 09-17-2007, 05:52 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: Turbo questions...

I think that it's impossible to spool in neutral. The rpms and cfm buildfaster than the turbos can built boost, or something like that. If I'm wrong, I'm sure someone will correct me.
My car sounds the same as the driving video. If you are hearing the "police siren noise" around 2-3k (probably on the passengerside), it'sthe sound of the first horseman coming. The turbos are begining to die, but you could have many miles to go. Alot of bpeople have heard that sound for 10-20k miles.Just start saving your moneyfor the swap, and replace em when the blow.
From what I've read: police siren = OK; the sound of 10,000 screaming baibies = bad.
The 02 sensor should have nothing to do with the sound.

Old 09-17-2007, 05:58 PM
2nd Gear

Yea, thats what i was thinking too about not spooling in park, but then i dont understand where the whine is coming from....But I am pretty excited about the labor quote i got from EuroTech....i think im going to be using them instead of doing it myself when they finally do go.

Old 09-17-2007, 07:48 PM
1st Gear

well when you say " spool" do you mean spin? Or do you mean that the turbo is working to push air in to the cyl. also known as Boosting. because the turbo will spin right up when you rev it any time. doesn't matter if your in gear or not. And yes it will wine a little.

Old 09-18-2007, 11:24 AM
2nd Gear

any one else?

Old 09-18-2007, 01:26 PM
3rd Gear

You can NOT build boost out of gear, & you are in limited boost in 1st.

If you turbo's are making bad noises @ idle, they should be SCREAMING when you drive. I bet you have a belt noise, a boost leak, or some other thing that you think is the turbo. It can even be a throw out bearing.

When they go, you will know, there is absolutely NO question when they go.

Old 09-18-2007, 02:27 PM
2nd Gear

thanks 2k, appreciate the help/reassurance!

Old 09-18-2007, 03:26 PM
1st Gear

The turbo spins from exhaust from the exhaust manifolds, so anytime the engine is running, there is airflow going through the turbo's. At idle its not much but if you rev it up it will spin the turbos faster.

Why do you think stick shift cars launch at 4500 rpms, to launch with boost. Why do auto's get a transbrake or hold the foot brake and gas before launching, to build boost. Notice how if you just take off from a stop there is a little lag, well if you can stall the car up against the brake and then launch there is less lag because the turbos are spooled a little. I know these cars have a safety deal that shuts the throttle body blade after a few seconds of brake boosting, but the concept works on all turbo cars.

Ever see a Buick Grand National with a transbrake? They can launch with boost and lift the wheels. (The transbrake will hold the car still and let the engine rev up to the stall speed of the torque convertor), also comes in handy when used with a 2 step rev limiter. I've never seen a tiptronic S4 with a transbrake, but it would be good for drag racing.