S Car Model Line Audi S4, Audi S6, and Audi S8..Audi's track-ready touch on each of the popular sedans

Who needs coilovers?

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2010, 02:27 AM
Default Who needs coilovers?

My S4 is a daily driver that sometimes sees the funner side of life out in the countryside.

The car has an APR chip, Samco TBB, 710n's, H&R rear sway bar, and AWE drivetrain stabilizer.

The question is: what would I gain from going to coilovers for spirited cross-country romps, and what, if any, price would I pay during my daily commute?

Thanks for any advice you can provide!

Steve

Old 01-28-2010, 02:39 AM
2nd Gear

bilstein shocks with whatever you're choice of springs. coilovers are over-rated for the most part; compression and dampening are pretty equal. you'll just waste time adjusting your aesthetic height where as most shock/spring manufacturers have already adjusted the perfect setting for role-couple according to the specified vehicle.

by the way, what roads are you driving on outside of milwaukee?

Old 01-29-2010, 07:38 AM
Default wisconsin roads

Thanks for the advice. Follow-up question: at 45K miles is there any real advantage to upgrading shocks/coils on a daily driver?

My favorite places to drive in Wisconsin (close to Milw) include the northern Kettle Moraine and the Erin/Holy Hill area. South Kettle Moraine also has some nice roads, especially the short road that leads out of Rochester.

Would love to hear where you go driving, assuming you're in the metro Milw area.

Old 01-29-2010, 06:06 PM
1st Gear

I personally thing most people get coilover for the "low" look. Yes it does help in the area of handling but unless you are going autocrossing or tracking the car they are likely a little over kill. If any get a nice rear sway bar. That will help the balance of the car so that there is less understeer.

Old 02-06-2010, 12:58 PM
1st Gear

you can get the low look with bilstein's and H&R springs i have that but it is too low for me... im going with coil overs for the handling adjustability

Old 02-09-2010, 11:04 AM
1st Gear

also over time the coil overs will rattle your cars interior loose making your nice daily driver a symphony of annoying sounds after a while. I have had 240s in the past (tein Flex with the EDFC) IT was great when i was banging out the corners but over time it is just a lot of abuse on the car.
I have been debating on what to do as well for my suspension and I am sure im going with a bilstein shock and maybe stasis springs. I have heard from friends who own a local Audi performance shop by me that the H&R springs are not exact in their spring rate, in other words you might have two or three of four corners with different rates making your car uneven.